Seal Rocks

Scienceman

48 hours - boat, rocks and beach fishing. I can definitely feel the difference at 45 yo compared to my 20's.

Friday morning I drove up to Seal Rocks where ~20 guys from the mid-coast were nearing the end of a weeks camping and hard fishing - I was a hanger on for 2 nights.

Flat seas so out goes my mates 5m tinnie off the beach. A few casts for some fresh squid and out for kings near the light- house. None came out to play, unlike the previous day when they were getting busted up fishing from the rocks by schools of big bruisers. Instead we got a couple of 4kg frigates taking SP's on the surface. They go like bullets and sure test your knots out. Was told that they are OK to eat if you cut out the blood meat. Did this and cooked up with rich tomato based sauce but have to say they tasted too strong to be enjoyable. Snapper bait from now on. Then out off the end of the point in 25m for 6 reddies to 38cm until nightfall.

Day 2 was a late morning start ( :beersmile: ) and decided to go off the south-side of a nearby rocky headland as the northerly had picked up to ~15kts and was getting stronger. To get in it was a beach walk, then over the headland and down a steep rocky slope to fish the steep rocky ledges. At 20yo this would have been no problem but age brings changes that make you slow down and take it carefully. Low swell and little wash but decided to fishing for blackfish as the boys had been doing well earlier in the week and immediately got busted up by 2X drummer - :mad3: Then got 5X 1kg blackfish which helped make me feel better. Moved to the next nearby rocky point and it was fishing heaven. In the clear seas you could make out blackfish, drummer, bream and mullet all in nice deep water. I then proceeded to extract another 5 blackfish at 1 - 1.5kg. But best of all I finished with a 1.5kg drummer who gave a good account for himself but never stood a chance without a reef to brick me on. I was using my Daiwa Japanese 15ft graphite telescopic which has a very soft action but has plenty of oomph half-way down. Coupled with a small egg beater running 10lb braid and 15lb fluorocarbon leader and fixed float. I have to say this rod was meant for this type of fishing - it was an absolute joy to use - very light, long reach and soft but with control when needed. (I actually have two of these and as my wife doesnt use it now I was thinking of selling but I know I will never be able to replace it and one-day the kids might get into fishing or mine might have an accident so I have deciced to hold on to it.)

I wanted some pics so elected to haul the fish out back to the camp ground. I knew I was asking for a work-out and I got it - oh my aching muscles. Pics are on a friends camera so will have to wait for him to send me.

Then just because my mate jagged a passing mullet from the rocks, we elected to race back to camp, down a quick beer, fillet the fish and head back down to the beach for a quick jew session on sunset. Nothing much to report as the mullet got mauled by bream and nothing took the luderick heads. But by 7pm I was shagged.

Built up a cooking fire and after a few burbons, a feed of rump and foiled potatos followed port and chockate by the fire until 12am, I was feeling pretty good about the previous 48 hours - :1fishing1:

Edited by Scienceman

Excellent reading Scienceman!! :thumbup:, just like being up there myself. Seal Rocks is a place where all the winds and currents come together and have a good effect on the fishing. Years ago if you hooked up a good size fish at night off the rocks up there you were lucky to bring in half a fish. Sometimes there was so much action that the head you brought in wasn't from the fish that busted the fish that got your livie in the first place.! Seal Rocks is the last place where anybody would be safe taking a midnight swim that's for sure.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer