Shimano Trinidad Dc Or A Penn Torque 300

Scon

Hi Raiders,

I am after some help and info please, I just bought myself a Trinidad DC 2 days ago and yes i like it still, yesterday i was having a look on a website at a Penn Torque 300 and i liked that as well to. I would like some info please on anyone's thought's, e.t.c on both reels compared to each other or if you want to put it into perspective a Trinidad DC vs or against a Penn Torque 300.

does anyone know which is the better reel out of the 2? which one would be made from the strongest material, have the smoothest drag, have the better drag washers, have the better and stronger gear's and have the strongest drag out of the Trinidad DC or the Penn Torque 300??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Scon

I want to be able to use Cotton Cordell pencil poppers, the smaller Halco Roosta poppers, metal lures from 60gram spanyid snipers and raiders through to 85gramer's, and bibless minnow's with the largest size being the size of the Halco Max bibless minnow.

will i or won't i be able to cast the Halco Max bibless minnow using 10kg mainline (mono of course), i will have to use 15kg mainline (mono) won't i to be able to cast the Halco Max bibless minnow?

I mainly want to fish 10kg mainline and 15kg as well but i would like one reel i can use both 10kg and 15kg on out of either a Trinidad DC or a Penn Torque 300, targetting Pelagics of all size's and any other fish and fish species that decide's to eat my lure, fishing Land Based, plus i will be going up to place's like Queensland and else where like up North to Foster when the LBG season's start where they get Longtail's off all size's, possibily yellowfin, Golden Trevally, GT'S=Giant Trevally up to about 20kg's, Queenie's, Spanish Mackerel off all size's.

Edited by Scon

What exactly do you want to do with it. There is not "best reel". Some are just more suited to different applications. They are both very good reels. Shimano has a bigger following but that doesn't mean it is always the better reel.

I am not being rude just to let you know I know they are both good reel's my self. you said Shimano has a bigger following but that doesn't mean it is always the better reel.

the way i take that is that the Penn is better then the Trinidad, is that correct, is that what you are getting at?

Edited by Scon

I wouldn't say the penn is better. I haven't used it so I can't say. For the fish you want to catch they will both have enough drag. Trinidad will pull around 6 or 7 kilo's. Personally I would have a smaller reel and maybe back it with braid. Topshot the last 100 metres with mono. It will be easier to cast lighter lures. I have daiwa sealine x40hv and I would not cast any lighter than the halco rooster but I can get a fair distance on a 10 foot rod. My Trinidad 16 I could go lighter but it does not have the outright casting distance of the daiwa. Has more pulling power though. You would only fish 3kg drag max for longtails unless there are sharks around. You will also generally pull them in a lot faster than livebaiting. Up to twice as quick as they don't get a run going on you when you stick a lure in their mouth.

You can cast heavy lures on 10 kilo no worries, its just down to the leader. Minimum 40lb for spinning. I have got longtails on 30lb fluro livebaiting but you take your chances of the stones. That was on a calm day.