Line Capacity Of Reels

Lasty

I am just wondering whether the line size and capacity markings on reels are just recommendations or the maximum for that reel? I have noticed that a lot of you guys talk about using 15 or 20lb line/braid on 4000 series reels, however the markings on all my 4000 series reels have a maximum line capacity of 12lb. Is it OK to go over the line size recommendations on the reels or should I go for a larger reel?

Doesnt matter what size line you put on your reel. What is important is the drag setting.

You would use a heavier line for abrasion resistance where there is a lot of structure and a chance of having your line cut but that doesnt neccesarily mean the line is the optimal size for that reel.

I have a stradic 1000 which I think from memory states 4lb and 6lb and has a max drag of 7lb. When fishing around the old leases in the Bay i have 15lb rigged. This means when a bream takes me through the sticks I have a better chance of pulling it back than when I have 6lb on. Same with the 2500 that states less than 15lb but handles drag up to 15lb so you could potentially load it up with a much heavier line.

Mind you I think the max drag on most 4000 series reels is up around the 20lb mark anyway so you will have no worries loading it up with line size you mentioned or even above.

Dave

Hi Lasty

Although a fifteen pound reel will take the same amount of line as braid around 60lb, you need a pretty high quality reel of that size with a heavy duty drag system to handle a heavy fighting fish where the use of 60lb ls warranted or to catch the not so finniky fish of a lifetime. For example using 15kilo line on yellowfin and what about mono traced with crimped wire for mako sharks up north, where reel quality and spool size comes into and braid is unsuitable on mako because of no give in the line.

These are rather wide examples I've given but I feel they can be geared down to solve a reel size and line rating problem.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I am just wondering whether the line size and capacity markings on reels are just recommendations or the maximum for that reel? I have noticed that a lot of you guys talk about using 15 or 20lb line/braid on 4000 series reels, however the markings on all my 4000 series reels have a maximum line capacity of 12lb. Is it OK to go over the line size recommendations on the reels or should I go for a larger reel?

They are generally maximums but are in terms of monofilament line (most of the time) and with braid having a much narrower diameter, a lot more line can be put on a reel or a heavier line class.