Amazing/weird/fun Fishing Session In Syd Hbr

Jake

Had an amazing session in Sydney Harbour this arvo. Went chassing Jew's and bream on softies but came home with a completley different story.

Ended up catching what I think is my first estuary perch! :biggrin2: Or is it a Bass?

Absolutely stoked!!! 40cm on the nose! It's probably older than me! Fought deep and hard, taking some decent drag on my 4lb line and 1000 stella.

Caught it on a little ecogear vibro thingy. First time i've used them - bloody good. What's weird is in the same session, in the same area, on the same lure I also caught many micro bream, whiting and tailor. These were seriously small fish.

Even weirder than that, rolling about on the surface of the water a few metres away was a 40cm whiting! Had a few scales missing and a few marks on it. I reckon it was either sucked by a Jew or was sick. Thought about eating it but wasn't sure so put him back in the drink.

All in all one of my most memorable fishing sessions. It amazes me what that body of water can come up with, with so much pressure and so many people around it.

Pics attached.

PS - All fish released.

Cheers

post-6757-1215857054_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1215857072_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1215857096_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1215857113_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1215857126_thumb.jpg

Had an amazing session in Sydney Harbour this arvo. Went chassing Jew's and bream on softies but came home with a completley different story.

Ended up catching what I think is my first estuary perch! :biggrin2: Or is it a Bass?

Absolutely stoked!!! 40cm on the nose! It's probably older than me! Fought deep and hard, taking some decent drag on my 4lb line and 1000 stella.

Caught it on a little ecogear vibro thingy. First time i've used them - bloody good. What's weird is in the same session, in the same area, on the same lure I also caught many micro bream, whiting and tailor. These were seriously small fish.

Even weirder than that, rolling about on the surface of the water a few metres away was a 40cm whiting! Had a few scales missing and a few marks on it. I reckon it was either sucked by a Jew or was sick. Thought about eating it but wasn't sure so put him back in the drink.

All in all one of my most memorable fishing sessions. It amazes me what that body of water can come up with, with so much pressure and so many people around it.

Pics attached.

PS - All fish released.

Cheers

It's definitely an EP, very very very nice =)

Any hint as to roughly where you were? Looks like either around Sugarloaf Bay or well upstream.

Nice result anyway. The jew theory probably sounds most likely about the whiting.

Congrats on a superb fish!!!! :thumbup:

The vib style of lures appear to be catching more and more fish, and it sounds like today was no exception. That's a great looking color. Regardless of size, catching numerous fish on a new lure is a real buzz. :biggrin2:

Top session mate ... well done

Hodgey

Great Harbour EP there. bet it was a surprise to see it as you brought it to the surface. Congrats

Slinky,

I'm only about 15 minutes from Kellyville, EP's have been a regular bycatch of late whilst chasing bream, let me know when your heading out and ill see if i can put you onto a couple

Mitch

Cheers nexus and Anti-Carp.

Yeah Josh, good spotting .... it was in middle harbour. Had never tried this exact spot before. I won't call it spot X, but maybe spot EP? :biggrin2:

Hodgey - I love how you can fish these metals at any depth .... don't have to change jig head size as with softies. I was surprised at how hard they hit them also. You can really feel and see the pulsing action, very tight. I just hopped it down the rock wall behind me in the photo.

Slinky it was a species on my to do list also. I actually put out the question to raiders not long back seeking help to find them on the sydney north side - thought i might have a chance in Narrabeen Lake. Didn't think I would end up getting one in sydney harbour, but have heard they do exist in there as stated by Mitch (even not far from the harbour bridge a little birdy once told me).

Mitch it was one of those "I see it but i don't believe it" moments when i brought him up to the surface :1yikes: You're brain takes a few seconds to compute. So happy when I netted it I yelled to the heavens and gave a double pump with the fists!

Now I just want to catch another one ... and another ... and another ......

Nice, gotta love those moments when you yell randomly to the sky and pump the fist, good work.

I remember someone on this site quite a while ago got one at rushcutters bay i think.

Middle harbour and the upper reaches of the parra definatly produce there fair share at the right time. I'm guessing you'll be heading back to spot EP again for another crack. Hope you get some more.

There probably my fave fish to target in the spring months and at any other time a very very welcome bycatch.

On the Northern beaches area you can definatly get them in Narra Lake. I used to get quite a few in manly lagoon also. Haven't lived there for a few years now so not sure what its like, but if the water levels are all good im sure theyll still be in there somewher

Looking forward to further reports

Mitch