Boultons & West Reef

wombat

Launched at Berowra late on Friday Afternoon and took off to Jerusalem to spend the night. Made it just a night closed in. At about 9:00pm decided to go back to Juno as the neighbours were a bunch of yahoos getting plastered and sending their echos across the whole bay.

Met up with Iain's mate in the tent boat and got the same treatment from half a kilometer off as we approached. Ignored him and parked right next to him. :1tongue: Chucked out some pillies and joined the others in the hope of a jew. Not a touch all night. Was a bit apprehesive about camping overnight there in fairly exposed conditions but as it was calm we drew the tarp and zzzzzzzz...

Saturday morning sees us try west head for some livies with about a million other boats. I exagerate about 12. After pulling up small sweep decided to leave the others to it and went of to West Head to find about 10 boats congregated in one small patch of the reef. Is there a reason for that? After pulling up a lot of small snapper with only one legal at 28cm we head off to Boultons travelling over a 2 meter swell. Tummy starting to be not well. First time at Boultons to find that there was not much showing up on the sounder by the way of 'structure'. Strange. At least there was only two boats there.

We put down a live yakka and fish with pillies with the other rods. All the pillies are taken within seconds of hitting the 40 meters but no hookups no matter what we try. In hindsight we think it wuz the cuttlefish. The first livey gets up a morwong. Nice table size. The next gets up a huge cuttlefish which is lost just as we try to net him. It wuz big. It was ugly. We hesitated. We lost it. Oh well.

The rest of the score a port jackson, a banjo ray, a chianman leather jacket.

Turned a bit green on the day and must admit I gave back half of my can of coke. Son number one drove back. Hope he doesn't drive like that in the car.

Good day out with the lad and happy enough with some action.

Wombat :biggrin2:

Just one thing, the min legal length for snapper is now 30cm

Thanks Mark. Better update my free Fisheries sticker on the boat. I reckon that's fair enuff. Those snapper gotta get a grip and come back in numbers and size.

Wombat

Guest bluecod
I've goat a massive cuttlefish at Boultons once. I let it go but it just floated about on the water as it was full of air and I think probably would have died. I did not know what to do with it but I'm told they make ok bait????

30335[/snapback]

BAIT! BAIT! :1yikes: Iain, you're a heathen!!

Cleaned up and BBQ'd properly they're every bit as good as calamari - just a heck of a lot more in one piece.

Guest bluecod
They are a downright bitch to clean.  In my experience anyway.

30420[/snapback]

I'm not going to argue with Bash on that one - I usually "let" my brother-in-law clean the cuttlies. :biggrin2:

You know how squid have that fine membrane over the flesh ? so do cuttlies, and its coming off before you cook 'em. Anybody got an easier method, as my BIL would sure like to know :risata::risata: