Trailer Tyres

anthony f

One of my trailer tyres went flat recently, I took it to get fixed and the tire guy said the inside of the rims was at fault and I would need a new rim. Well low and behold the other did exactly the same thing about two weeks later. They are alloy mag style , is this a common problem? they show no sign of corrosion etc from the outside. Can I take the tubeless tyres off them and have them fitted to new rims, they still are in great nik?

One of my trailer tyres went flat recently, I took it to get fixed and the tire guy said the inside of the rims was at fault and I would need a new rim. Well low and behold the other did exactly the same thing about two weeks later. They are alloy mag style , is this a common problem? they show no sign of corrosion etc from the outside. Can I take the tubeless tyres off them and have them fitted to new rims, they still are in great nik?

could have a crack in the rim, alloys are a little prone to that.

Hasn't your tyre guy heard of tubes for tyres!!! They would want to have some serious damage or flaw to justify replacing. Tubes fitted for under$25 bucks I would think.

Yes your tyres can go onto new rims if you bought some.

Yes you can have old alloy rims cleaned with sone light wet and dry or emery paper around the rim where the tyre seals ot go the whole hog and get a metal polisher to clean the whole wheel up.

Some good advice above

I had the similar issue of tyres going soft so i fitted tubes to them

then got a blow up going away.

The tyre guy i used didn,t like the idea of the tubes in the tyres once i got to the destination.

and then showed me what the problem might be, The lips where the tyre sits on the rim lip may have tiny build up/corrosion.Which doesn,t allow the tubeless tyre to seal on the rim.He then used a wire brush on both inner edges and cleaned then up and used a bead sealer when he put the tyres on.And to this day i have never had another issue.

Thanks for your replies people. My problem seems closest to johno,s . Putting a tube in may not be the answer as there has to be a reason the TYRE GUY doesn,t like this idea.Maybe not a great idea to do a long trip on that? I just wanted other views before speaking to them again, Thanks

Thanks for your replies people. My problem seems closest to johno,s . Putting a tube in may not be the answer as there has to be a reason the TYRE GUY doesn,t like this idea.Maybe not a great idea to do a long trip on that? I just wanted other views before speaking to them again, Thanks

Tyres fitted with tubes run hotter hence the greater cause of blow out. Also lots of tyres fitted new to trailers are of questionable quality at best.