Live Bait Tank

humesy

G'day all,

I am wondering if any of you have a reef runner bait tank such as mine shown in the picture. They are commonly sold at whitworths/bias for about $270.

post-1006-1217029908_thumb.jpg

post-1006-1217029957_thumb.jpg

The problem I have had several times over is the scoop and pump which is mounted to the back of the rear (transom?), made of plastic and secured by screws has been torn off the boat when I have hit debris in the dark. Even a small log is enough to bust the plastic mount and render the pump useless.

post-1006-1217029991_thumb.jpg

I have thought about solutions and the best I can come up with is to raise the height of the whole unit and turn the scoop to face sidewards so it does not protrude beyond the line of the bottom of the hull. The obvious disadvantage is that it will not pick up water as it is meant to when the boat is moving.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and if so, what did you do?

Thanks again, in advance

What about cutting a hole where the screws are and mounting it inside, have the pipe come out of the hole to suck the water threw. Quinnies are like that and they use a plastic/nylon pipe with a bend pointing down to suck water with boat movment forcing water up it even when the pump isnt on.

You could have a valve in the inlet pipe so you could turn it off and remove the tank if needed as well.

Greg

hi mate,hows the jewy fishing been of late?

as for yr Q, i have that same one and i got one of them ss adj sliding brackets so when im going real fast the pickup is not below hull..

in saying that i had it ripped clean off in mh a while back when i hit something semi submerged as i forgot to raise it :1prop: ... didnt see that coming......

great tank once you put a bigger overflow outlet to stop overflows :wacko: ..

ive just setup a 60l barrel type to save room as deck space is a premium in my rig and hopefully it works tonight without too many dramas....

i think i payed about $45 for the bracket from ww at mona vale...

cheers...steve.....

There is heaps of water pressure when moving forward at high speed so I would just cut the vertical part of stainless pipe off at an angle of 60 degrees facing forward and long enough so the whole cut is just below the line of the hull. The water rises after it leaves the back of the hull so even a couple of inches back it will still get plenty of water . As so little pipe is then exposed it won't catch as many bits of debri. At lower troll speeds you will still have to run the pump a bit more than before.

Have seen it before with a straight high cut of the stainless tube and then a piece of plastic tubing with the 60 degree cut end on it that extends to the hull line. That way the tube may "break " off when it hits debri but wont kill the bracket. Would want to be pretty stiff tube though.

Edited by pelican

If you are going to turn the pickup pipe to one side then you may aswell remove it all together.

As the only time it will pump water through is at a stand still when the pump itself is fully submerged.

You could also try the stainles L shaped bracket with the pickup coming of the bottom of that, then all you need to do is sit our pump on top of this via one or two screws. A lot stronger than the plastic brackets you have been using.

pic attached..

post-7038-1217061245_thumb.jpg

Thanks all,

Í went with bluefins suggestion. The pick up now sits just beside the ribbing. It still takes up water but hopefully will miss all the debris.

G'day Roosterman. How bout those chookies today. Jewie action has been slow. Haven't put many hours in but the time I have spent has been cold and unproductive unfortunately. Will leave the serious missions until october i think.

G'day Roosterman. How bout those chookies today. Jewie action has been slow. Haven't put many hours in but the time I have spent has been cold and unproductive unfortunately. Will leave the serious missions until october i think.

hi mate, yeh was good to see the chookies get up as the eagles have been a problem last few outings,more like a slaughter yard than a footy paddock :1prop: ...

the fishing in the hawks has been real quiet for sure with not alot of baitfish around at times as youve found also...

i went to go out to fish for hairies last night but throttle probs that i couldnt get right on the water kept me in pitty as its a long trip to jb with top speed of 8.6knots :1prop: ..

sounded out a couple spots and was real dead,couple very small soundings of bait and one huge arc but got zip,pulled the pin after tide turned for only couple picked baits...

heres a pic of my adj bracket.. lets me put low when downrigging to keep water flow without being turned on...

post-2219-1217145920_thumb.jpg

although my short trip was troublesome motor wise the new bait tank setup worked a treat..

the flowrite nozzle setups great and uses venturi setup to add air to tank as well as water... :thumbup: ..

gotta keep those squiddies happy while they await their dinner guests :biggrin2:..

cheers...steve.....

g'day Steve,

I'm glad the chooks kicked on this arvo. They've clocked off a few times this year.

Thats a nice setup. My mechanic recommended the same thing but knowing me, i would forget to bring to bring it up and rip the whole lot off. Too bad about your motor and the hawkesbury at the moment. probably a good time to stock up on squid.

Cheers