High Usage / Big Hours And Service Schedules.

Sammy0884

Hi Guys,

I was looking to get an idea of a maintainence schedule for my outboard. I was curious to see how those of us who rack up big hours manage the servicing of their motors and keeps the costs of running as low as possible.

I am aware that the general rule is a dealer visit every 100 hours is the general rule of outboards, but when you are racking up between 7 and 10 hours every weekend, that 100 hours can come around pretty quickly. I generally inspect all fluids every 50 hours, and have changed gearbox oil and fuel filters every 100.

Now i am running a Yamaha based mercury four stroke, the servicing requirements are somewhat more in depth. I was wondering where i draw the line at what i can do at home versus what will require a dealer visit. I am presuming that 300 hours will be the milestone where i will require a dealer visit for adjustments under the cam cover and for timing check and adjustment.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Cheers

Sammy.

Hi,

I think most outboard issues arise from the lack of use rather than too much usage.

I would say as long as general maintenance is performed you could probably double the hours before a service is needed. Car engines can do tens of thousands of kilometers before requiring a workshop visit so I don't see the logic for an outboard that is used frequently to be subject to frequent servicing.

I believe frequent usage with less servicing is better for an outboard than an infrequently used serviced engine.

Engines are designed to be used, not to sit around and rust away!

Good on ya for getting out amongst it often!!!

Just my 2 cents

Elliot

Hi Sammy, if I owned your engine or any 4-Stroke I would change the oil and filter every 50 hours and do the water pump and gear oil every 100 hours or 12 months. At 300 hours some brands need the valve clearance inspected and timing belt inspected/replaced so I would be getting someone trained to do that. Also your powerhead has internal anodes that need to be replaced so they should be done or at least checked every 12 months.

If still in warranty also this general maintance of changing oil needs to be done by a dealer otherwise, as per the fine print, the warranty can be an issue.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Sammy, if I owned your engine or any 4-Stroke I would change the oil and filter every 50 hours and do the water pump and gear oil every 100 hours or 12 months. At 300 hours some brands need the valve clearance inspected and timing belt inspected/replaced so I would be getting someone trained to do that. Also your powerhead has internal anodes that need to be replaced so they should be done or at least checked every 12 months.

If still in warranty also this general maintance of changing oil needs to be done by a dealer otherwise, as per the fine print, the warranty can be an issue.

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey,

I have been doing the gearbox oil every 50, and planned to do the engine every 100.. I will switch it around to do as you have suggested.. I have pulled out the impeller at 100 hours in the past and it has been brand new... is this something that could also be stretched to 300 or so hours given my boat operates in clean offshore water 98% of the time?

Is there an economical means with which to buy the 10w40 oil spec'd for my engine?

Also, i was chatting with a Royal Purple oils rep, who suggested that using their High performance/Long life oil that the changes could be stretched to 300hours... you opinion of this?

Etty and Sammy.The motors work very hard and at high revs and have a small sump. Fresh oil of the highest quality and new filter is cheap insurance when there are so many parts relying on it. Non factory oil could cause a warranty issue as well. Impellers last well but when you are talking a rig that goes offshore and a single motor it is also pretty cheap to change as it is hard to inspect to see it it is going to fail.

In regard to cars- well component tolerences have got better, so have oils and there is a very competitive servicing industry so the manufacturers have extended service times as part of marketing. When you see and feel the oil out of a commodore that has been towing and doing high speeds you wouldn't be leaving it in there for the full term they suggest.

Oils work best at correct temperatures and loads they were designed for so thermostats and waterpumps on outboards are critical to ensure correct running temps.

Different brands are made to different specs and have different life cycles. Only the manufacturers know these duty cycles ad they set them for a very very low failure rate. Yes they make money on servicing but there reputation loss if there was multiple failures is more important to ensure parts don't fail.

Learn how to inspect belts if it is possible and listen for any unusual noise with the cowl off but follow the schedules. Some manufactures had a different schedule for commercial motors that had many hours in a short duration but many of these were lease motors that were then replaced after 1500- 2000hours so I don't know the long term affects on those motors.

Huey,

I have been doing the gearbox oil every 50, and planned to do the engine every 100.. I will switch it around to do as you have suggested.. I have pulled out the impeller at 100 hours in the past and it has been brand new... is this something that could also be stretched to 300 or so hours given my boat operates in clean offshore water 98% of the time?

Is there an economical means with which to buy the 10w40 oil spec'd for my engine?

Also, i was chatting with a Royal Purple oils rep, who suggested that using their High performance/Long life oil that the changes could be stretched to 300hours... you opinion of this?

Hi Sammy, I do not know the oil you speak of but a good gear oil like the BRP stuff can go 300 hours without changing if no water entry happens. Also the BRP stuff is the best at resisting water and keeping it seperated. I am guessing you are meaning the gear lube, becasue I would not want to run my 4-Stroke outboard for 300 hours on the same oil and filter. Yes you can buy marine 4-Stroke oil in bulk, but I do not think you would want a 55G drum of it, but if you do BRP have it at good prices for the Ultra 4-St oil, which is best for the outboard.

A good qaulity impeller and SST housing like your Merc runs could easily go 300 odd hours in deep water usage. The problem with your outboard going that long before removeing the gearbox is that the driveshaft and crankshaft splines can seize together and when you are inspecting the impeller it is best to grease the spline when inspecting the impeller.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi,

Car engines can do tens of thousands of kilometers before requiring a workshop visit so I don't see the logic for an outboard that is used frequently to be subject to frequent servicing.

Elliot

Car engines don't do tens of of thousands of kilometres before requiring a workshop visit, as you seem to think. Although a lot of people don't know it most engine oils are only good for 10k or 6 months, what ever comes 1st. The lubricating properties in the oil are no good after 6 months, regardles of klms, this is one of the hardest things to convince people of. It doesn't matter if the car sits in your garage for 6 months, after that the oil is cactus. On what knowledge are you advising sammy to go double the amount of hours the service schedule says before he needs a service, it's easy to advise someone not to worry about the service schedule when it's their motor and not yours. I used to be a mechanic and I change my car oil every 5k or 3 months. I bet You've never seen the inside of a motor that has had regular oil changes compared to one that has been basicly neglected, or let go for 20k or so, time after time. Let me tell you, they're filthy, dry, hard, baked on oil all over the place, bloody horrible, but everyone thinks, "it still goes so why should I service it?" Besides that, a car engine is under a lot less stress than an outboard so I would be enclined to follow the service schedule, basicly, if you bought a 4 stroke, you paid all that $$$ for it, you have to maintain it.

Just my 2cent worth!!!

Edited by hookenup