Anyone Tow Their Boat With Hilux?

shefford

It's been 2 whole weeks of flat pancake swell up here and i've only been out twice as my car cannot tow the boat so i Use my friends (co-owner) of boat or my dad's work utes, but they use them in the week!

So I'm going to trade my car in at the end of the year hopefully with enough savings and trade in for something that can tow my boat.

I want to know the current specs for

2003-05 Hilux 2 wheel drive 2.7 petrol

The towing capacity braked and non braked.

And also what other cars/sedans have similar pricing and towing capacity, what about a 2003-2006 commodore?

Boat weighs around 750kgs loaded on trailer (not currently braked as cables seized and we took them off :mad3: )

And cost of putting new brakes on?

All the ramps we go on are not steep even at low tide, t hey have all been re-done and the hilux had no trouble pulling the boat out loaded on low tide with axles in water.

Current car 2005 Nissan pulsar sedan - 70,000kms so prob get around 9-10k for it and wanting to spend no more then 14.5-15k.

Any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

According to redbook

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars

Series RZN149R MY02

Body Utility

No. Doors 2

Seat Capacitiy 3

Transmission Manual

Gear Location Floor

Drive Rear Wheel Drive

Fuel Type Petrol - Unleaded ULP

Recommended RON Rating 91

Release Year 2003

VIN Number JTFKM626#########

Country of origin JAPAN

Dimensions

Kerb Weight (kg) 1317

Tare Mass (kg) 1272

Gross Combination Mass (kg) 4530

Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 2730

Pay Load (kg) 1413

Towing Braked (kg) 1800

Towing Not Braked (kg) 700

Wheel Base (mm) 2850

Length (mm) 4785

Width (mm) 1700

Height (mm) 1605

Track Front (mm) 1395

Track Rear (mm) 1410

Engine

Engine Location Front

Configuration In-line

Engine Size (cc) 2694

Cam Double Overhead Cam

Engine Cycle 4 Stroke

Engine Type Piston

Engine Number 3RZ-#######

Engine Code 3RZ-FE

Cylinders 4

Valves per Cylinder 4

Compression Ratio 9.5

Power 108kW @ 4800rpm

Torque 235Nm @ 4000-4000rpm

Induction System Aspirated

Fuel Tank Capacity (litres) 69

Fuel Delivery Multi-Point Injection

Method of Delivery Electronic Sequential

Steering

Steering Description Recirculating Ball

Optional Equipment

Air Conditioning

Dual Airbags & ABS

Paint - Metallic

Green Credentials

CO2 Emissions 260

Fuel Combined (l/100km) 10.9

Warranty

Warranty KM 100000

Warranty Years 3

Wheels

Rim Material Steel

Front Rim Description 14x5.5

Standard Equipment

2 Speaker Stereo

Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt only

Calipers - Front 2 Spot

Disc Brakes Front Ventilated

Front Stabiliser

Independent Front Suspension

Intermittent Wipers - Variable

Mudflaps - rear

Power Steering - Speed Sensitive

Radio Cassette

It's been 2 whole weeks of flat pancake swell up here and i've only been out twice as my car cannot tow the boat so i Use my friends (co-owner) of boat or my dad's work utes, but they use them in the week!

So I'm going to trade my car in at the end of the year hopefully with enough savings and trade in for something that can tow my boat.

I want to know the current specs for

2003-05 Hilux 2 wheel drive 2.7 petrol

The towing capacity braked and non braked.

And also what other cars/sedans have similar pricing and towing capacity, what about a 2003-2006 commodore?

Boat weighs around 750kgs loaded on trailer (not currently braked as cables seized and we took them off :mad3: )

And cost of putting new brakes on?

All the ramps we go on are not steep even at low tide, t hey have all been re-done and the hilux had no trouble pulling the boat out loaded on low tide with axles in water.

Current car 2005 Nissan pulsar sedan - 70,000kms so prob get around 9-10k for it and wanting to spend no more then 14.5-15k.

Any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

You wont have trouble towing your boat with either of those cars. I can't give you exact specs on either but i tow a 17foot 1/2 cab mustang with a 90 on it with both an "85 2L hilux and a V6 commodore no dramas at all

Have a look at Car Point on NineMSN as they have quite a comprehensive range of specs for cars.

Interestingly in NSW, the Commodore can only tow a 500kg unbraked trailer but a Falcon (despite similar weight & power) can legally tow 750kg. Others that can legally tow 750kg unbraked are Hi Lux, Rav 4 and Avalon.

Mate I tow my boat, about 650kg with a 99 hilux 2.7l 4x4, dual cab. So If the motor can pull around mine with the xtra weight of the car a 2.7l 4x2 will be fine. Just make sure you ae comfortable stopping in a hurry if you have to!

G'day mate,

For what it is worth, i have towed my 5.2 m seafarer with a 1989 2.4 petrol auto Hilux for the last 8 years ,

( The first 7 on an unbraked trailer ) . While i will never set any speed records with this rig , i have never

had a wheel slip at any of the ramps that i use.

Oh , and on the issue of brakes on your trailer , no contest, you will have a LOT!!!!!!! less brown undies

moments with a with well set up braked trailer.

Cant go wrong with a Hilux.

Cheers ,

Bruce :beersmile:

Have a look at Car Point on NineMSN as they have quite a comprehensive range of specs for cars.

Interestingly in NSW, the Commodore can only tow a 500kg unbraked trailer but a Falcon (despite similar weight & power) can legally tow 750kg. Others that can legally tow 750kg unbraked are Hi Lux, Rav 4 and Avalon.

the reason for this is that the commodores only have a 3/4 chassis.

thats why when i pinch the old mans boat i tow it with his falcon and not my commodore