Optimax Vs Yamaha 2stk

Luringbream

This is probably better suited to "boating" but i'll throw up some points for you.

- 40%+ less fuel consumption

- No smoke or smell

- Less oil consumption, little or no chance of fouling plugs.

- Smoother running, less noise and vibration

- Fuel injected, starts cold first kick every morning.

- better resale value.

I had the 90hp Optimax and it was a fantastic motor.

My mate runs a 150 Optimax off the back of a 5.5 Sportsfish and it is absolutely fantastic.

On a regular run that we do a 2005 150 2 strok Johnson was using around 30 -35 litres. The Optimax is now using an unbelievable 15 litres.

The economy at cruising speeds is fantastic, it is responsive - just knocks her straight up on the plane and we have found it as good or better in mid range acceleration when crossing bars.

Cant say enough good things about the big black motor.

One of the biggest disadvantages of the Optimax 115HP is that it is only a 3 cylinder where all other makes use a V4 for their 115HP.

Mercury use an inline 4 for their 2 stroke 115hp, which is a terrible motor.... as for the only three DFI two stroke on the market the Optimax is a 1.5L inline three, compared to a 1.7L V4 for Evinrude and a 1.8L Inline 4 for the Tohatsu TLDI.

Hi Dan, not really a fair comparison for either brand because you are comapring old tech to new tech. It would be like comparing a 1985 Commadore to a 2008 model Falcon. If these are your two choice the OPTIMAX wins every catagory, like fuel economy, no smoke, quietness and better runability. The Yamaha will win on price and being a V4 it will outperform the 3 cylinder OPTI. As Sammy stated the re-sale would offset the inital higher buy price for the OPTI and over time the less fuel used by the OPTI will also make up the difference.

We sell the Mercury OPTIMAX outboards and the 3 cylinder OPTI holds its own against pretty much every other "clean" engine and I personally would pay the extra over a carby outboard of any brand. In my personal opinion the OPTI is only beaten by the V4 E-TEC, but the E-TEC costs more being the V4 vs 3 cylinder design, but again savings in servicing can offset this.

PM me if you would like some more of my thoughts and the Raider price for a 115HP OPTI,

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

I'd like to make a generalisation about the value of clean tech engines.....

Given the proliferation of the newer clean tech engines, regardless of the benefits, selling a boat with a four stroke or DFi engine is infinately easier. Personally when i am looking at boats i will not consider anything other than a four stroke or DFI.

mate you will kick your self in the future if you dont go the opti or new tech engine of somesort,im useing now about half the fuel i did with the standard two stroke(130yamie 2stroke to a 150 optimax)the new engine will pay for itselfin a couple of years ,and fuels not gonna get cheaper,although the optimax engines are not quiet in my opinion ,if your after queit engine go the ,etec or a 4stroke

another plus is the smart craft instruments ,they give you a heap of information,the most important to me is the fuel computer stuff ,you can operate the engine at its mostr efficent rpm

just to make a comparison last season chasin yellowfin an average trip would use between 110 litres on the calmest days to 150litres ,the most ive put in this season is 70litres work that out at a $1.50 a litre ,and it might be $2 PLUS INTHE COMING YEARS ,hope not but its on the cards

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo

Thanks to all who replied, i really appreciate it.

To begin with i didn't like the Optimax for the simple fact that it is a 3 cylinder but i spose its other advantages do outweigh those of the 2strk yam regardless of price difference. To throw a spanner in the works, i'm probably going to spend a lil extra and settle for an E-tec.

Thanks again.

Dan

luring bream,

good luck with your engine selection, it's a tough gig i went thru only a few months ago.

Prior to sellecting your engine you really need to determine what you want from the engine....ie. offshore trolling, fast acceleration, top speed, efficency, low speed plaining offshore, etc as most engines can't give you everything.

For example, I heard of someone that had a etec fitted to their boat, but after only a few outings had the engine removed as the tourqe curve of the Etec made the boat dangerous when crossing bars and would not provide a good offshore plaining speed around 3000 rpm. However this may have been great for a ski boat??

So my advice is do your research on your needs, potential engines and props and hand over your hard earned cash when your ready.

luring bream,

good luck with your engine selection, it's a tough gig i went thru only a few months ago.

Prior to sellecting your engine you really need to determine what you want from the engine....ie. offshore trolling, fast acceleration, top speed, efficency, low speed plaining offshore, etc as most engines can't give you everything.

For example, I heard of someone that had a etec fitted to their boat, but after only a few outings had the engine removed as the tourqe curve of the Etec made the boat dangerous when crossing bars and would not provide a good offshore plaining speed around 3000 rpm. However this may have been great for a ski boat??

So my advice is do your research on your needs, potential engines and props and hand over your hard earned cash when your ready.

Hi Graz, no offence mate, but it is amazing how everyone has heard a story about every brand of outboard. I personally fail to see how having too much torque can be dangerous for crossing a bar, the exact opposite would be the case. Also the high torque of the E-TEC does plane some boats at a lower RPM than similar HP 4-Strokes so yes at 300RPM you would be travelling faster with an E-TEC and if the hull is not upto travelling at that speed softly than you can hardly blame an outboard for that. Any good offshore hull should be comfortable at about 3000RPM to cruise all day long and doing only 3000RPM will be better on fuel than needing to do say 4000RPM to acheive that same speed.

Cheers,

Huey.

No offence taken Huey, although i'm a little suprised by your comments.

See my comments below in bold.

Hi Graz, no offence mate, but it is amazing how everyone has heard a story about every brand of outboard.

Yup, fair comment...however I read this persons comments directly and have since discussed the issue with him via PM. This wasn't a chinese whisper...lol

I personally fail to see how having too much torque can be dangerous for crossing a bar, the exact opposite would be the case.

Being under powered can be a issue, one i have personally experienced. However by the same token, having a fast torque curve can be just a dangerous when following the back of a wave in during a run out tide when the gap between waves shortens dramatically, you require a progressive throttle allowing you to easily navigate the situation with some room to move, not one that goes from zero to hero quickly.

Also the high torque of the E-TEC does plane some boats at a lower RPM than similar HP 4-Strokes so yes at 300RPM you would be travelling faster with an E-TEC and if the hull is not upto travelling at that speed softly than you can hardly blame an outboard for that. Any good offshore hull should be comfortable at about 3000RPM to cruise all day long and doing only 3000RPM will be better on fuel than needing to do say 4000RPM to acheive that same speed.

Again i disagree. Offshore fishing will see trailer boats encounter various different conditions when on the water. Ranging from short sharp wind chop combined with ground swell to coming home in low visability and night conditions, meaning a safe speed may vary from 20 to 6 knots where most trailer boats will at some time drop off the plane, a good engine will help alot here.

Having an engine here that gives you a progressive throttle allows you to drive the boat much easier being that it holds an RPM more constantly and will not drop on and off the plane as easily when doing low speeds. This makes coming home much simpler on the capi-tan. I have found this a great feature when i traded up from my 2/ merc to a 4/.

Sure running at 3000 rpm will be move efficent than 4000 rpm but my engine dosen't actually lose any efficency % from 3500rpm to 5000 rpm so perhaps not too much.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Graz, I guess you traded from an old tech carby 2-Stroke to a 4-Stroke so not really a fair comparision, but I am happy you enjoy your boat and if it is the same guy that was on Raider that you mention I know of it and the boat was to blame, not the outboard, there is two sides to every story and in fact BRP went well out of their way to help that guy. I can guarentee you EVERY BRAND of outboard has stories like the one you mention and it is the way the they stand behind the product that says alot in our over 45 years in this marine industry.

Again, with all my experience I would rather have an engine with the torque curve of a DI 2-Stroke that, as with any outboard, set-up right and propped right the E-TEC I have driven, and I have driven ALOT on all sorts of hulls, I have never had this occur with me and it is very easy to cruise at a safe speed-no matter what that will be and not have the engine run away.

I will leave it there and everyone has an opinion of what is better. I wish you all the best with your 4-Stroke and I hope it gives you many years of trouble free boating and servicing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi Huey,

Just for the record, I'm glad etec are in the business and i don't have anything against them, i actually had etec on my shortlist along with yammie and suz but didn't go with it in the end for varying reasons.

I don't think we are talking about the same person, I discussed this on another website with him...could be but i don't think so.

The good thing here is we have a choice....and and i mentioned to luringbream, he needs to work out what he wants from the donk, if he chooses etec and it works for him...great. Happy :1fishing1:

Personally i think there is more benefit is choosing the best dealer of the product rather than the best engine as they are all very good these days....a good dealer is especially important when propping comes into the equation.

Graz.

You hit the nail on the head Graz , the new generation of outboards are very close in performance , reliability , some will always prefer 4 strokes to 2 strokes , for various reasons . Having suffered with a very dubious dealer when I bought my new engine last year , I cannot emphasise enough how important a knowledgeable and helpful dealer is , it should be right up there when the hard decisions like brand , price are made. Having said that , Huetts Marine are the only people who work on my Etec, IMHO they are second to none for service and just being generally helpful.

Thanks again for all of your input gentlemen , this thread is now closed .

Ross