Trout Around Waragamba Dam

jewfishrobby

Hey guys and dolls dose any body know of any reliable trout fishing spots around waragamba dam thats legal to fish in as well ??

I have fished Monkey Creek above the exclusion zone a few times but failed to see a fish,didn't even see a discarded lure packet or fishing line, there are a few creeks on the western side of the catchent the fish move up but its a hell of a drive and walk from civilization. Untill the dam overflows again I doubt we see much in the way of trout fishing I'm afraid.

scrubworm is right it needs to over flow or they open a gate this has.nt happened for years

we used to do alot off work for the water board years ago and i have had the honor off fishing most off the fresh water dams in nsw

you can not fish these dams

warra has trout raibows and big browns and murry cod[i met a diver at warra and he had just finished a job at the dam wall and said there were cod 5 feet plus crusing the wall

prospect' cat fish carp and big maquary perch

greaves creek brook trout[yes the ones with big teeth]

there was one in canberra i can't remember its name but it was full of brown trout

this was 20 years ago and i would think that not much has changed

never fish under the dam wall it's illegal and if they open a gate the water will rise quicker than you can run up hill

i stood on the dam wall when they opened 2 gates and there would have been no escape if you were down there

gary

You can fish the Wollondilly River. It has no closed season.

You can camp on the river at the Wollondilly river station & there is a couple of km's of river to explore around there.

It's fished pretty hard but there are some nice fish to be had if you put the work in. Try fishing mid week to get away from the crowds. It can really fire after a bit of rain.

You get to it by taking the Mittagong turnoff on the highway & heading towards Wombeyan caves along Wombeyan Caves road.

The Abercrombie River is also in this area & it holds Trout as well. It does have a closed season though.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hey guys and dolls dose any body know of any reliable trout fishing spots around waragamba dam thats legal to fish in as well ??

Have you tried Nortons Basin (at the junction of Warragamba & Nepean) ? Not sure if its legal now but you used to get trout etc there 30 years ago when I was bushwalking through there. I imagine with no river flow it would be very quiet though.

Steve

I used to like to bass fish the Nortons area in my canoe however you can't drive down there now and it's a long slog down the hill, it's was really becoming a jungle down ther last time I made the trip. After some serious water releases hard from the dam the whole area Penrith to Wallacia is worth a shot for trout. The weir below the dam is said to be a good spot but as Brickman says it's a bad idea to move upstream of the exclusion zone it's very dangerious and securtiy will move you along smartly.

the last time the dam flooded over was sept97(11yrago) considering that is longer than atrouts life span I have worries about stocks in thelake itself if you want to spend 2days trudging1/2way between katoomba &Mittagong you might catch something but not what they was like in the past when it rained consistenly when the trout would enter the feeder streams to spawn.If you want a good bush walk mind the snakes even in the cold they are about still and the wild cattle and brumbies and don't forget the lithgow panther Oh and $10000 find is on the cards if found inside the exclusion zone so don't go there