Kakadu Trip

zeb00

Hi guys

its been a long time since i posted here but i was hoping you guys could offer some advice. i am heading back to jabiru for work next week and was going to bing a rod with me. i would love to bring my spin rod or overhead but they are all one piece so it would be better to bring the 3 piece 8 weight fly rod. East alligator river is the closest place to the mine so i will probibly try there can anyone sugest what flys i should buy.

hope someone can help

nick

Hi Nick,

Check your airline's oversized luggage policy. I recently carried a 6'6" rod tube to Fiji and back with Pacific Blue and had no issues. I've done this once in the past domestically with Qantas about 5 years ago without drama either. Get yourself a PVC tube and pack it with newspaper and bubble wrap around your rod and you shouldn't have a drama.

From memory the Pacific Blue maximum length for oversized baggage was 2.04 metres.

Marty

Mate,

I went to Darwin in November with Qantas and then flew out to spot x :1prop: and I had two LBG Rods, one went just over 7ft one piece and the other just under 8ft in a rod tube, and had absolutely no dramas at all.

Hope that helps, as for flies, definately be of no help... Will eventually get into it, then I can ask you questions :1prop:

Cheers

Ben

This could help Nick,my mates fish with the fly gear a fair bit on every trip we take up to weipa in cape york

& they do very well on the barra using all gold flies,gold/silver,pink/white in the 3 to 4inch range.Most fish

caught on sinking lines & making continous accurate casts to likely snags,rock bars & small drains on

the runout tide's.

cheers

Steve

Thanks guys as yoy have said you can bring one piece of sporting gear on a flight as an extra piece of lugage (but included in the weight limit on international) unfortunatly thats not the problem as i have to drive 300km in a rental car wih 2 others and all our test gear and luggage for 2 weeks so they wont be to happy with me if i squeeze in a 7 foot piece of poly pipe :)

This could help Nick,my mates fish with the fly gear a fair bit on every trip we take up to weipa in cape york

& they do very well on the barra using all gold flies,gold/silver,pink/white in the 3 to 4inch range.Most fish

caught on sinking lines & making continous accurate casts to likely snags,rock bars & small drains on

the runout tide's.

cheers

Steve

great thankd nexus that just the info i need to make a trip to the takle shop

nick

G'day Zeb,

Don't know from any great amount of experience but the instructions I've previously been given by some top anglers and guides are gold bomber flies, pink things and some chunky surface flies like Sliders or Dhalbergs... It's also worth having some small, 'clear' flies like sparsely tied clousers or surf candies for when you find them herding up Jelly Prawns along the edges. Bulky flies that push a lot of water and have a lot of natural movement are better than slim profile options. And where possible, work them slowly so they stay in close to structure for longer... lots of twitching and jiggling rather than stripping back in.

Cheers, Slinky