Jigging With Big Threadlines

Ray R

Hi Raiders, I will be jigging for some kings and as I've never done it before some advice on what threadline to get would be much appreciated. I have seen vids of fisho's doing it with biggish threadlines and that would be a preffered reel for me.. So what should I be looking at and how much would need to be spent..

Cheers....

I'd reccomend sticking with well known brands like Shimano or Diawa, purchase locally because it it highly possible that you will be calling on some warranty assistance if you are using the reel on big fish,

as for a specific recomendation, i'd look at a Spheros 14000 or a Saragosa 14000 or 18000 for something tougher... Spool it up with 500m of 50lb braid and off you go. there are options from diawa but they are somewhat more expensive.

As for a rod, the Shimano Tcurve 200 are excellent and balance nicely on the afore mentioned reels.

ray.....i have recently been using the okuma v power system with the 80SA (high speed)

the reels is so far very strong and smooth with the drag. These are fairly well priced reels and are towards the top of the okuma range i think for value.

However, like sammy said Shimano is generally the go if you want long last qual gear...i went out on a limb buying the v power after my terrible experiece with a okuma epix aka seize master...

If the v power dies..i'll never go okuma again.

My mate was using a shimano spyeros or something like that....its a lower retrieve rate but it seemed to handle the load well with no reel flexing...only small kings but.

Don't forget Penn Spinfisher SSM's. Tough as nails and a good drag system; not is the same league as a stella or saltiga but you get a lot of bang for under $200 bucks.

Cheers

Jiggy

Hi Jiggy , is that the PENN SPINFISHER 850 OR 950SS , if so I have heard they are are good cheaper option for jigging and the are plenty tough.. Cheers...

The Shimano Saragosa should do the job pretty well. You'll really pay for it here (like 400-500 i think) but in the states its about 250-300 i'm pretty sure.

The reel depends more on how much is in your pocket. Theres plenty of options out there.

Josh

Hi Ray,

Depends on the how heavy you want to fish. If your planning on fishing 80 pound braid then the 850 or 950 would be the go; 50 pound and you could go for the 750. As Josh said you've got a fair number of options depending on what your budget is.

Cheers

Jiggy

I used an 850 with 50lb yesterday and I was suprised how good it was. Got kings to 5kg and it did not stress the reel at all. Excellent for a cheap reel. Decent rod makes a difference as well though. I used a saltiga blast 4500 as well but preferred the Penn.

Edited by lighthouse2k