Re-spraying My Boat

TIMMY C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all

everyone has been very helpful in giving me a hand on ideas for my new boat.

my next task will be to re-spray the boat.

Does anyone know how to do this D-I-Y

or any decent places to take the boat to, and if so how much will i be up for?

Thanks again

TIMMY C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all

everyone has been very helpful in giving me a hand on ideas for my new boat.

my next task will be to re-spray the boat.

Does anyone know how to do this D-I-Y

or any decent places to take the boat to, and if so how much will i be up for?

Thanks again

TIMMY C

Can anyone lend a hand?

TIMMY C

Mate, is it ally, glass? is it on a trailer? How big is it? do you want to spray the lot or just the top half?

Mate it is a 4.5 mtr quinnie centre console.

it is on a trailer

aluminium hull approx 83 model.

i was planning on spraying the top half to begin with and just bringing the bottom half back to the aluminium.

TIMMY C

Ok so you want spray the thing like sides and top and leave what sits in the water ally.

If so you can spray it your self at home (no regulations on one off hobbie jobs with council).

Your best bet is to:

Hire a comressor with gun,

Take the paint as much as you can off with srippers or papaer.

If the surface is not to bad you can sand back with 400w/d and then again with 600w/d.

Tape down all area not to be painted.

Paint with 2k high fill primer first(if you rubbed it all back to metal use 2k etch primer first then highfill)

Then rub the highfill with 800w/d do get a smooth finish.

Then prepsol the lot and wipe with tackrag emediatly before painting to get all grease off it(impotant)

Then ask for base white, which is a pure whit, 2k paint for the finish

2k paint will dry in a day but make sure its not too windy and must be a hottish sunny day if spraying out side.

2k will give a really good gloss and there will be no need to buff if you are handy with a gun.

Carefull it runs easy and make sure you use hardner.

All that if yur handy with a gun. If not get the prep out of the way and probably the priming as its not hardto spray primers on, eaven for a first timer.

This will save you heaps of $ at the painters. Then take it to your local auto painterand ask if he would be kind enough to paint the colour.

If he will, most havent got time, I think arround $800 - $!200 just for paint allone.

If you have Qs if you decide to do it your self you can pm me and send picks of finnishes and Ill guide you through it.

Cheers

Ok so you want spray the thing like sides and top and leave what sits in the water ally.

If so you can spray it your self at home (no regulations on one off hobbie jobs with council).

Your best bet is to:

If the surface is not to bad you can sand back with 400w/d and then again with 600w/d.

Paint with 2k high fill primer first(if you rubbed it all back to metal use 2k etch primer first then highfill)

Then prepsol the lot and wipe with tackrag emediatly before painting to get all grease off it(impotant)

2k paint will dry in a day but make sure its not too windy and must be a hottish sunny day if spraying out side.

2k will give a really good gloss and there will be no need to buff if you are handy with a gun.

All that if yur handy with a gun. If not get the prep out of the way and probably the priming as its not hardto spray primers on, eaven for a first timer.

This will save you heaps of $ at the painters. Then take it to your local auto painterand ask if he would be kind enough to paint the colour.

If he will, most havent got time, I think arround $800 - $!200 just for paint allone.

If you have Qs if you decide to do it your self you can pm me and send picks of finnishes and Ill guide you through it.

Cheers

Thanks heaps mate !

this is very helpful !

i will pm you for some step by step instructions when i begin to spray the boat !

thanks again mate !

TIMMY C

Your best bet is to:

Cheers

Good informative post there STUCATZ, thanks.

Karma too !!!

I got a quote to get the top half of my 4.3M Haines Hunter resprayed : $5,000 . I may be able to get you some 2 pack marine paint if you decide to do the job yourself.

Ross

Jesus Ross, who gave you that quote, Tiffany's?

I got my 4.6 done inside & out for $1500 in 2 pack. I supplied the paint which cost me about $450 from Norglass and found a painter who did the work after hours for cash at his paint shop with booth.

Timmy, pm me if you want and I'll give you some tips.

Cheers, Russ

Mate, they usualy give those quote if there not interested.

Spray the thing your self.

Its easy, your not spraying a street machine for show and shine, Its a boat.

As long as you dont run the paint ( and in some places , who cares, it doesnt mater).

Just make sure that its not windy( wind blows dust on the paint) you can spray out side, no need for booths. Wet the paving so dust will not blow on the job and paint will not stick to thepaving.

Ive sprayed Cars with 2k out side with little or no dust setelment. 2k will be touch dry in 1-2 hours with a fast drying hardner.

If you have never sprayed before, just practice on a pice of cardboard to get the gun adjustment right. What you are looking for is a even spray and flow with no runs.

When you you spray keep the gun paralel 35cm from the surface and triger off at the end of the stroke before trigering again for the return stroke and repeat. This will prevent double coat and runs when you stop the stroke (coat) and start returning the other way.

Take your time thats the key.

Ho. leave 15min between coats with 2k because it needs to dry and will also prevent runs(this s called flashing)

Before you know it you will see a brand new boat infront of you. Especialy when you take all the masking tape off.

White paint in2k -$50-70 per lt( you need 1 ltr for top only)

hardner 250ml - $16

reducer 500ml -$16

2k primer -$36

Prepsole- $12

Papers - $10

Gun hire - $70 the day

Thats it :thumbup:

Good luck boys, just ask if you need any more advise.

Hey there,

Are you going to spray over the top of the current coat? You really need to prep the surface really well. I've not so long ago been through a similar process. I spent hours and hours stripping paint and cleaning and srubbing and scraping. I recommend getting the whole thing sand blasted. It may cost you 500 bucks, but it will save you many many many hours and also a few hundred bucks in chemicals such as paint stripper, etchant etc etc. Take my word for it, it would be money well spent.

You need to paint the thing asap after etching or sand blasting. If you sand blast, the paint will stick like poo to a shoe. I went to a lot of trouble with the etchant thing and the paint is stuck on really well.

I had some great help from a friend who i met on FR - particularly with painting, but also a priceless tip was the use of plastibond to fill holes and dings etc. It was brilliant.

Last of all, be realistic about what you are getting youself into. How long are you commting your boat to the dry land for - will you miss out on good fishing months? Fishing is more fun that ripping the guts out of your boat!!!

Cheers,

Jon

Hey there,

Are you going to spray over the top of the current coat? You really need to prep the surface really well. I've not so long ago been through a similar process. I spent hours and hours stripping paint and cleaning and srubbing and scraping. I recommend getting the whole thing sand blasted. It may cost you 500 bucks, but it will save you many many many hours and also a few hundred bucks in chemicals such as paint stripper, etchant etc etc. Take my word for it, it would be money well spent.

You need to paint the thing asap after etching or sand blasting. If you sand blast, the paint will stick like poo to a shoe. I went to a lot of trouble with the etchant thing and the paint is stuck on really well.

I had some great help from a friend who i met on FR - particularly with painting, but also a priceless tip was the use of plastibond to fill holes and dings etc. It was brilliant.

Last of all, be realistic about what you are getting youself into. How long are you commting your boat to the dry land for - will you miss out on good fishing months? Fishing is more fun that ripping the guts out of your boat!!!

Cheers,

Jon

hi there jon

i am aware that i need to strip the boat back to the aluminium, or as much as possible.

the thing is i will be selling the boat in aprox 8 months and i need to keep my budget to a minimum, to increase profit.

this means that sand blasting is not an option and i will have to tough it the hard way !

cheers for your help !

TIMMY C