Blackfish Session At The Zoo Saturday With A Few Raiders

roosterman

Hi Guys,

the morning weather was absolutely unbelievable and conditions on the harbour were fantastic..

looking over to the city i thought how goods this eh,no wonder we get so many tourists,just gotta stop once an a while and smell the roses so to speak..pitty i didnt get a pic but may give me an excuse to return at a later date..

well the fishing was not real good and between 6 of us fishing different depths and spots along the wall there was a big lack of underwater action...paul got the first down but missed him, bugger,oh well.. then nothing for a while... i eventually got a good down and lifted my rod,im on,yeh baby.. after a short tussle i slide him into the net happy to finally get some action.. things go quiet again and over the next hour a couple downs but no fish for the guys.. i went under the wharf flicked my float inbetween pylons and put rod down to go to "little boys room" well what do ya recon happens next......

yep my float rockets outa sight.. mmmmm... finish up pick rod up and only way to set hook due to height restrictions is wind reel fast with side flick,im on but am burried deep in kelp... after a tedious fight getting outa kelp i lift a just legal blackie to put in net...

all goes quiet again and by about 10 is a few guys leave to try another spot upriver...

we persisted for a while then me and paul left to try better waters... checked cliftons but decided to try clontarf as my intel was good schools seen very recently...

got there and walked along the pool fence to corner and as paul says this is a spot where downs are fussy my float rockets outa sight,after a spirited fight i land a nice blacky... after this the downs were very touchy but plentiful,musta went through a kg of weed feeding the pan sized blackies , well barbie doll pan size.there was some good ones there but getting past the tiddlers was a non event..we ended the long day with a total of 7 keepers from 28cm to 34cm and a great day fishing a new possie..

thanks to the guys for the company and a shame the fish didnt want to play....

heres some pics.....

post-2219-1220097410_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1220097428_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1220097445_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman

Hi Guys,

the morning weather was absolutely unbelievable and conditions on the harbour were fantastic..

looking over to the city i thought how goods this eh,no wonder we get so many tourists,just gotta stop once an a while and smell the roses so to speak..pitty i didnt get a pic but may give me an excuse to return at a later date..

well the fishing was not real good and between 6 of us fishing different depths and spots along the wall there was a big lack of underwater action...paul got the first down but missed him, bugger,oh well.. then nothing for a while... i eventually got a good down and lifted my rod,im on,yeh baby.. after a short tussle i slide him into the net happy to finally get some action.. things go quiet again and over the next hour a couple downs but no fish for the guys.. i went under the wharf flicked my float inbetween pylons and put rod down to go to "little boys room" well what do ya recon happens next......

yep my float rockets outa sight.. mmmmm... finish up pick rod up and only way to set hook due to height restrictions is wind reel fast with side flick,im on but am burried deep in kelp... after a tedious fight getting outa kelp i lift a just legal blackie to put in net...

all goes quiet again and by about 10 is a few guys leave to try another spot upriver...

we persisted for a while then me and paul left to try better waters... checked cliftons but decided to try clontarf as my intel was good schools seen very recently...

got there and walked along the pool fence to corner and as paul says this is a spot where downs are fussy my float rockets outa sight,after a spirited fight i land a nice blacky... after this the downs were very touchy but plentiful,musta went through a kg of weed feeding the pan sized blackies , well barbie doll pan size.there was some good ones there but getting past the tiddlers was a non event..we ended the long day with a total of 7 keepers from 28cm to 34cm and a great day fishing a new possie..

thanks to the guys for the company and a shame the fish didnt want to play....

heres some pics.....

post-2219-1220097410_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1220097428_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1220097445_thumb.jpg

Nice bag of blackfish there mate !

Well done Steve & fellow Raiders, in trying conditions! :thumbup: I bet everyone learnt heaps just by watching you, Steve & their buddies giving it a go. Anyone can catch fish when there is a 'hot bite', but to catch them when they are 'fussy' - now that takes skill & patience!!

Don't give up on it guys - the fish are there virtually all the time, just have to take a range of different weed & cabbage with you to tempt them with! Sometimes they like the pale green stuff, sometimes the darker stuff.

Sounds like a great day out on the water ...... don't think you'd be getting me out on that bloody fence rail tho! :1yikes: I'd be fish food for sure!! :074:

Nice looking fish - that bottom one is a stonker! So dark, it could be a drummer!

Cheerio & well done to all who participated!

Roberta

Haha! No worries for the heads up on clontarf! I was there on thurs flicking about for flatties and noticed them all munching on something along the pool, didnt expect you to make it there on sunday though! Good work and let me know if you are heading out at a later date because footy is finished for me now so my weekends are completely free.

Haha! No worries for the heads up on clontarf! I was there on thurs flicking about for flatties and noticed them all munching on something along the pool, didnt expect you to make it there on sunday though! Good work and let me know if you are heading out at a later date because footy is finished for me now so my weekends are completely free.

mate you didnt tell me the size of the masses :tease: .. i swear they woulda been so thick if the water was clear you would not see the bottom for miles :1prop: .. my float was at absolutely neutral buoyancy and all it kept doing was little bob,bob,bob,bob half a down, bob,bob,bob, baited..

managed to get a few of the tiddlers and one i jagged under the chin went a whole 6cm... a SPB (smallest personal best) for me :yahoo: ... we fed the buggers for a chance to get one of the bigger models that we could see cruising around but it took all my weed tying skills to keep it long enough for a legal......

thanks again for the heads up.... will have to hook up soon but unfortunately the next mth is out says the :wife: ....

hi Roberta,it sure was hard going at the zoo and i had the most varied baits (about 6 types) but they were not feeding.. as for that fence rail it sure was a challenge fishing with no landing net used(no where to keep it) i swam one of the bigger ones to the beach so i didnt lose him,very tricky as balancing walking and him wanting to dive into fence was my highlight of the day.....

i had to have a second look at those too,yeh they look a little drummerish but def bf.. as you would see up forster they change colors dep on surroundings so the darker ones musta been hanging in the kelp and the lighter ones cruising in an outa sand/weed etc...

for the guys that went to the zoo don't be disheartened as when i cleaned the fish the stomachs were empty bar 2 which had my burly in them.. all were males and not signs of milk..

this all makes for hard fishing which i may go right into on another day....

the bigger ones we saw at clontarf were in small schools but not interested in feeding and i am assuming they were the female packs.. some places in the harbour are fishing better and i would be targeting further up river now and the spot that was mentioned(upriver) and others nearby are great blacky spots....

thanks byron and timmy, in the end it was a nice bag but very hard earned,havnt worked that hard for blackies for soooooo long....

cheers...steve.....