Minn Kotas

GregL

Hi Raiders

Having run an old Riptide that I didn't really rate, I'm a little scared to order another but I can't run a cable steer on it plus I know I need autopilot.

Has anyone got one of the current Minn Kota ST Rip Tides?

Just wondering how much easier is it to deploy and raise compared to the old ones.

Also if anyones used the optional foot controller, is it easier and is it worth the money?

Are the new pedals better than the old in reliability?

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg, as you probably know mate we sell M/K so take the following as you will. I think the new Terrova Riptides are a marked improvement over the older M/K. Yes the deployment and retrieveal is alot easier, they have the cool auto-pilot, which can not be beaten in my books, the optional foot pedal is a big improvement over the older Riptide ones, but we tend not to sell many, most guys just run the co pilot. The older style with the sliding throttle were not the best and we have replaced a few, while the new Terovas have been fine. All in all I think the ST Terrova are hard to beat.

Honestly if I choose to stock and sell a product, no matter what it is, it is because I have looked into what else if available and prefer what I stock. Trust me, I could start selling pretty much any brand of electric outboard, petrol outboard or hull available due to our experience and position but I just like what we do stock.

PM me if you would like to ask any questions you do not feel comfortable asking here,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey

Isn't the Terrova a fresh water model?

I don't want any drama down the track with warranty regarding saltwater use.

Greg

No mate, the Terrova are salt water Riptide bow mount that are top of the tree in this range.

Cheers,

Huey.

Only a personal point of view, but I find the new foot pedal a pain in the arse to use and will be getting the cheaper flat model to use with mine.

"Easy to Deply" NOT. At this time it is harder then my previous riptides, even with copious amounts of inox applied. Hopefully with a bit more use it will lossen up.

But on a positive note, turns quicker then the older riptides, motor quieter and more secure on mounting plate so you dont have that familar clunk when the power is applied.

I have the freshwater model as you get the transducer in the bottom which means no messy wires running down the shaft and the footpedal is included. Replace the prop nut with a sacrificial anode type and all's good. They have a 3 year warranty but damage caused by corrosion isnt covered, which is fine as I have never had a corrosion related problem with my previous minns, only circuit board failures.

Edited by Mick

Thanks again Huey.

I think the white of the Riptide will go better with the boat and to heck with it, might as well go top of the range, even upgrading the electronics already.

Mick just what I wanted to hear. Someone who has had both.

I'm just worried it's going to be a bi tch to deploy when I'm standing low in a boat and not high on a casting platform like on the bss boats. I'm also coming out of a Maxxum Pro with gas strut assistance with the deploy and retrieve. Now that thing was EZY!

Anyone been on the Kota site of late?

Man they have some cool sh1t out now!

Trim and troll and kotas that bolt on your petrol motor, freaky!

Greg

Only a personal point of view, but I find the new foot pedal a pain in the arse to use and will be getting the cheaper flat model to use with mine.

"Easy to Deply" NOT. At this time it is harder then my previous riptides, even with copious amounts of inox applied. Hopefully with a bit more use it will lossen up.

But on a positive note, turns quicker then the older riptides, motor quieter and more secure on mounting plate so you dont have that familar clunk when the power is applied.

I have the freshwater model as you get the transducer in the bottom which means no messy wires running down the shaft and the footpedal is included. Replace the prop nut with a sacrificial anode type and all's good. They have a 3 year warranty but damage caused by corrosion isnt covered, which is fine as I have never had a corrosion related problem with my previous minns, only circuit board failures.

Hi Mick, thanks for the input, but if you have a freshwater unit you DO NOT have the new Terrova and as I have mentioned the OPTIONAL foot pedal is better than your one, it deploys alot easier in the Terrova model than your one, but I have not had an issue with fresh water models-I imagine yours is the powerdrive and they are OK, but the foot plate is not the best especially in salt water.

Cheers,

Huey.

DAM, your right Craig, I want my money back, some one has painted the word "Terrova" on the side. :1prop:

Terrova

Love the US2

Greg;

I went with the freshie, as I dont think US2 is available on the salt model and the foot pedal was standard.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick

DAM, your right Craig, I want my money back, some one has painted the word "Terrova" on the side. :1prop:

Terrova

Love the US2

Greg;

I went with the freshie, as I dont think US2 is available on the salt model and the foot pedal was standard.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick, yes in the States they do a fresh water version of the Terrova, but it is not available here in Oz. I personally have not seen this unit so I can not comment on it. All I know is I have used the Riptide Terrova which is what Greg was asking about and I like them.

Cheers,

Huey.

hey Greg,

im running a kota on my boat atm. 4 foot pedals in a year...hhhmmmmm there crap!!!

IN the past i have had a few issues with the motorguides and didn't take a liking to them.

Although, after playing with the new wireless motorguide with AP i am sold. These things are brilliant. The footpedal is easy and by far the most responsive of any leccy i have used. Also very easy to deploy and a damn good price

Mitch