Botany Bay - Saturday 6th September

donjuarez

Hi Raiders,

Was planning on taking the boat (4M shallow hull Quintrex) out to Botany Bay this weekend, to familiarise myself with the areas, and have a bit of a practice fish for the social in a bay that I have never fished before... :biggrin2:

Had a look at seabreeze, and the 4m swell coupled with a 20-25 knot wind tells me that such a wide open bay, this saturday, a=in a little 4m shallow hull boat is probably not the best of ideas??!?!?

Any raiders who fish the bay regularly happy to share their thoughts? I imagine it's going to be bloody choppy in the bay!

Should I be fishing somewhere a little more protected and out the wind? Middle Harbour? Hawkesbury?

Any help greatly appreciated...

:1fishing1: AJ

The Bay is definately a "NO GO ZONE" in that type of weather and conditions.

You could try the Cooks or the Georges River for protection.

Cheers Stewy

I didn't check the seabreeze - but on weather.com.au saturday is 39 km/h wind + 10 mm of rain. I'm cancelling my trip, unfortunatelly :mad3:

In an open boat even Georges or Port Hacking may not be a pleasant place to fish IMHO...

Edited by Kruzenvax

Hi Raiders,

Was planning on taking the boat (4M shallow hull Quintrex) out to Botany Bay this weekend, to familiarise myself with the areas, and have a bit of a practice fish for the social in a bay that I have never fished before... :biggrin2:

Had a look at seabreeze, and the 4m swell coupled with a 20-25 knot wind tells me that such a wide open bay, this saturday, a=in a little 4m shallow hull boat is probably not the best of ideas??!?!?

Any raiders who fish the bay regularly happy to share their thoughts? I imagine it's going to be bloody choppy in the bay!

Should I be fishing somewhere a little more protected and out the wind? Middle Harbour? Hawkesbury?

Any help greatly appreciated...

:1fishing1: AJ

Mate dont do it, i have been caught out in the bay when a southerly has hit and it was very nasty. Although the bay isnt very big it can turn on you in a big way. A friend and i fish the bay heaps but if there is any indication that the weather isnt on our side we dont tempt mother nature.

From looking at SeaBreeze it appears that your day will be dictated by weather unfortunately and not necessarily where all the fish might be.

The bay will probably be a bit ugly and maybe dangerous in a shallow small boat if that southerly comes through. That predicted swell would probably get in there as well. There are parts of the Georges (between Tom Uglys and Oatley Park) and the Hacking (Jibbon, Bundeena, up and around south west arm and down towards Deer Park) that you can get out of trouble. I know these areas are pretty vague but you will probably have to pick your spot on the day depending on if the wind has more south or more west in it.

Im not at all familiar with The Harbour or Hawkesbury sorry.

If you're desperate to go and the weather is ugly or gets really ugly you can always get out a map or the street directory and look for potentially sheltered spots. Obviously the bigger/steeper the hill, the more protected it will be.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses folks, pretty much confirms what I was thinking... :biggrin2:

Not a good Idea at all...

will have a look at options in the cooks, or georges and try and find somewhere sheltered, worst case, i'll just be going into the social fishing a waterway I've never fished before.. no bigge, and not absolutely essential..

Thanks for the responses folks, pretty much confirms what I was thinking... :biggrin2:

Not a good Idea at all...

will have a look at options in the cooks, or georges and try and find somewhere sheltered, worst case, i'll just be going into the social fishing a waterway I've never fished before.. no bigge, and not absolutely essential..

Try some fresh squid under Tom Ugly's bridge (between 2nd and 3rd pylon - south side) for some jewie during the run out in the late arvo...you never know

I am going to attempt the bay on Saturday, see what happens when I get to the ramp...

PM me if your still gonna give it a shot...

Cheers

Ben

Where do you launch from? still debabting what i will or won;t do, but will let you know if I decide on the bay/tributaries..

Worst comes to worse, i'll be giving the desert hawkesbury/cowan a go... closer to home., well protected from the winds, and an area i'm fairly familiar with... pity about the fish though :biggrin2:

Will probably launch from Tom Uglys and see how the weather is pending which way to head - into the bay or into georges...

If your keen to give it a go mate, I am determined to hit a few spots that I have a pretty good feeling about, maybe head out together or something?

Cheers

Ben

Will probably launch from Tom Uglys and see how the weather is pending which way to head - into the bay or into georges...

If your keen to give it a go mate, I am determined to hit a few spots that I have a pretty good feeling about, maybe head out together or something?

Cheers

Ben

I dare say in advance that I'll be limited to heading in towards the Georges if I head out that way..

will keep you posted... could be a plan :1prop:

I dare say in advance that I'll be limited to heading in towards the Georges if I head out that way..

will keep you posted... could be a plan :1prop:

Put in on the Georges down they Bay end maybe Tom Uglys or Oatley, then if the bay is too rough can fish the Georges !