Bassin At My Local - Friday Arvo

Smitty

Hi all,

This warm weather has me thinking about Bass all day, so when I got home this arvo I decided to head to my favorite local spot for a couple of hours fishing. This spot is only a 5 minute drive and fifteen minute walk from home.....I was standing on the waters edge by 5pm.

I tied on a cheap little shallow diver that I picked up for $3 from a bargain bin and started casting. First cast gets a nudge and a follow from a smallish fish - no hook up but a promising start. A few more casts and another follow later I decided to walk a couple of hundred metres downstream and try a different area.

A couple of cast in the new spot and I'm on.......a very small fish (13cm) that hit the lure 2 metres from me. A few more casts and BANG, on again, this is a much better fish. After an exciting tussle I landed a beautiful 45cm Bass - I very good wild fish for this water!!! :icon_peace:

There were a few small surface swirls happening so I thought a change to the trusted old Cicada might be the go, two cast later a hit and a miss and I decided to walk back to the large pond for a dusk surface lure session. Short walk, first cast, no sooner had the lure hit the water and it was engulfed out wide by another good fish....a few anxious moments followed as the fish got into a weed bed, then back out again, then headed for the snags :04: but luck was on my side and I soon landed a lovely 43cm fish......two nice fish in 15 minutes, I was stoked!!!

I kept casting as the light faded and landed another good fish of 39cm and a smaller fish of 27cm.

What a fantastic afternoon and a great way to kick off the new Bass season!!! :smoke:

Hope you like the pics,

Smitty...

13cm

post-1673-1223029028_thumb.jpg

45cm

post-1673-1223029070_thumb.jpg

the spot

post-1673-1223029100_thumb.jpg

39cm

post-1673-1223029137_thumb.jpg

sit still mate - its only a camera

post-1673-1223029161_thumb.jpg

27cm

post-1673-1223029183_thumb.jpg

43cm

post-1673-1223029227_thumb.jpg

Asshole !!!!!! you know my mobile :ranting2: I should ban you :074::074:

Great session Chris :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

Sorrrry mate, I didn't think they would be goin off just yet. Thought I was wastin my time really.

Give you a call next time lol

Chris...

:thumbup: Great work chris well done mate. Im keen whenever your ready too hit them bass again, just near home hey, i havent fished there for a while its good too see there active down there now. Give us a call next trip or whenever ya go again.

GAZZA.

Nice fish Chris, well done :thumbup: Might be time to dust the kayak off.

Dean

Well done on the Bass Smitty :thumbup:

Chris when my boys were little in the seventees we used to camp down at Kentlyn with an aboriginal friend of ours who had moved to the Campbelltown area from Bega. Althouth he was new to the area, this chap had the uncanny knack of knowing where to fish. He'd go missing and come back with a keeper full of Bass having swum over to the Darkes Forest side.

I use saltwater nippers and he also prefered nippers in Bega. We also fished Kings Park Ingleburn but you had to walk a fair way from where you park to get to the better spots. We used to catch plenty of big crayfish not far from the bridge at the bottom of Wedderburn Road and in the little offshoots at the back of St Helens Park.

When I fished the Nepean we used to launch at the boat ramp at South Camden but that's closed off now and only used for emergency services. You can park there and put a kayak or drag a small boat into the water without any problems. The foot bridge at Chelleaton St is also a good spot and I've also caught some very big silver perch there, some nights right next to the pylons and other nights casting well away from the bridge into shallow water at the water's edge after quite a long wait as perch suddenly came in and feed very close to the banks. Another top spot is under the railway bridge at Menangle Park and up against the weir to the right of the railway bridge fishes very well at night. Also the beach just before the Menangle road bridge fishes very well at night after the swimmers have gone and some nights you used to see fish trying to jump over the weir into water which starts off only a couple of inches deep on the other side of the weir.

I've got a friend Gary who's a concreter and has a home on acres with cow paddocks in a remote area about 9 miles along the Menangle river from the Menangle shops. There is a good sixty feet of water up there off a cliff face about twenty minutes from a boat ramp which he made himself at the bottom of the cow track and you can drive down the track in a 4wd.

If any Campbelltown members need any further details send me a pm and if you're into Bass you will find plenty of overgrown Bass up there and once your in with Gary no one else gets in without permission and a key to the gate.

If any of you Campbelltown members wants to meet up and have a fish off Chelleaton St footbridge, Paul Eskyy6 and myself will be in that for a change and it's easy to get to and there's usually plenty of bass and big perch down there.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Top Effort Chris :thumbup:

45cms is a stonker for there, Great to see a few starting to show thier faces around.

The water level seems to be much higher than usual in the photos?

We'll have to catch up for a fish sometime soon

Cheers

Hi Dan, the water level is back to were it should be (after the last couple of dry years).

We will catch up for a fish very soon I'm sure, I'm looking forward to it!

Smitty...

Well done on the Bass Smitty :thumbup:

Chris when my boys were little in the seventees we used to camp down at Kentlyn with an aboriginal friend of ours who had moved to the Campbelltown area from Bega. Althouth he was new to the area, this chap had the uncanny knack of knowing where to fish. He'd go missing and come back with a keeper full of Bass having swum over to the Darkes Forest side.

I use saltwater nippers and he also prefered nippers in Bega. We also fished Kings Park Ingleburn but you had to walk a fair way from where you park to get to the better spots. We used to catch plenty of big crayfish not far from the bridge at the bottom of Wedderburn Road and in the little offshoots at the back of St Helens Park.

When I fished the Nepean we used to launch at the boat ramp at South Camden but that's closed off now and only used for emergency services. You can park there and put a kayak or drag a small boat into the water without any problems. The foot bridge at Chelleaton St is also a good spot and I've also caught some very big silver perch there, some nights right next to the pylons and other nights casting well away from the bridge into shallow water at the water's edge after quite a long wait as perch suddenly came in and feed very close to the banks. Another top spot is under the railway bridge at Menangle Park and up against the weir to the right of the railway bridge fishes very well at night. Also the beach just before the Menangle road bridge fishes very well at night after the swimmers have gone and some nights you used to see fish trying to jump over the weir into water which starts off only a couple of inches deep on the other side of the weir.

I've got a friend Gary who's a concreter and has a home on acres with cow paddocks in a remote area about 9 miles along the Menangle river from the Menangle shops. There is a good sixty feet of water up there off a cliff face about twenty minutes from a boat ramp which he made himself at the bottom of the cow track and you can drive down the track in a 4wd.

If any Campbelltown members need any further details send me a pm and if you're into Bass you will find plenty of overgrown Bass up there and once your in with Gary no one else gets in without permission and a key to the gate.

If any of you Campbelltown members wants to meet up and have a fish off Chelleaton St footbridge, Paul Eskyy6 and myself will be in that for a change and it's easy to get to and there's usually plenty of bass and big perch down there.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer,

Mate, I've fished a few of the spots you mention (over the years) and have had some good results, particularly around the Menangle area, the beach area has fired at times (but yes only after the swimmer go home). I've also had some close calls on summers afternoons in the Camden area when the thunder clouds roll in (graphite sticks and lightening bolts dont mix well), this is'nt such a problem in the gorge country I fish these days. The upper Georges is just such a beautiful place its hard to go past it for a quiet late afternoon flick. Its a bit of a walk in but thats part of the attraction for me, I love to spend time in this beautiful bushland setting, wildlife all around and some good fish in hard to get to places.

That said, I wouldnt mind getting together some time for fish in the camden or Menangle areas, I have'nt fish those areas for a few years now and its always good to try some different spots and fish with different people (Raiders especially). PM me if you like and I'll give you my contact details.

Cheers,

Smitty...

That's a sizzlin' little sesh, Chris :1yikes:

Some bloody nice wild bass. Great to read the surface lure got so much attention! Great stuff mate. Looking forward to future reports :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgy, I'm sure there will be plenty more reports this summer, I try to get down the river a couple of times each week.

Cheers,

Chris...

Nice Bass there Mate

But can i just say please put them on a wet measurer or towel if your not going to hold them for the photo.

Not sure if your aware but putting Bass on hot or rough dry surfaces damages their eyes and scales.

Not picking on ya just stating the obvious...don't worry i have been gulity as hell doing the same thing b4 some1 let me know the bass get harmed this way.:05:

Edited by vass

Top report there smitty ,

Well done :thumbup: Never caught a bass so will have to give it a go.... Jewgaffer im keen to fish with yourself and esky6 so give us a call when your keen to go . Also i have a 4wd and a boat to fish in your other mentioned spot ...

Cheers Dogtooth :1fishing1: John... :beersmile: