Pig(let) Cherry -

klainz

G'day raiders,

hit some new rocks south side of the bridge over the weekend focussed on catching a pig. Fished a rising tide, overcast conditions and a bit of swell around. Used cabbage, bread and peeled prawns for bait under a blackie float.

I believe the photo below is a pig (be great to get confirmation!).

post-7134-1223274776_thumb.jpg

Nudged 25cm and caught 3 others actually smaller. Bread and prawns worked. Even for little guys they fought hard! Can only imagine catching an 'average' fish. Also caught a few 'ribbish' reef species including a whopping PB rock cale on cabbage.

Is it usual to get so many pigs this small? Do they school? If this is the pattern, is it better to move on or persist in the hope of catching a bigger one? The spot I hit is fairly easily accessed - is it possible to fish the bigger pigs out? Would it be worth persisting with this spot? Also, any particular hooks raiders use? (apologies for all the questions!).

The taste buds will just have to hold out a bit longer before trying the ocean pork I've heard so much about.

Gday Klainz,

It is a little piggy and they sure do pull for little fish. NSW size limits are 30cm and bag limit of 10 (last time I looked). You do tend to find smaller pigs in seperate areas (nurseries) to larger pigs. Pigs tend to replenish fairly quickly and also move around a bit. Stick with it and that big fella is on his way.

(I like to fish with bread as you catch a lot less rubbish fish)

Cheers

Marlin01

G'day raiders,

hit some new rocks south side of the bridge over the weekend focussed on catching a pig. Fished a rising tide, overcast conditions and a bit of swell around. Used cabbage, bread and peeled prawns for bait under a blackie float.

I believe the photo below is a pig (be great to get confirmation!).

post-7134-1223274776_thumb.jpg

Nudged 25cm and caught 3 others actually smaller. Bread and prawns worked. Even for little guys they fought hard! Can only imagine catching an 'average' fish. Also caught a few 'ribbish' reef species including a whopping PB rock cale on cabbage.

Is it usual to get so many pigs this small? Do they school? If this is the pattern, is it better to move on or persist in the hope of catching a bigger one? The spot I hit is fairly easily accessed - is it possible to fish the bigger pigs out? Would it be worth persisting with this spot? Also, any particular hooks raiders use? (apologies for all the questions!).

The taste buds will just have to hold out a bit longer before trying the ocean pork I've heard so much about.