Fresh Harbour King For Dinner

doug43

Hi all,

Arrived home from work this arvo put some frozen kingy fillets out to thaw for dinner and sat down to do a little work on the laptop.

About an hour later i went out on the balcony and saw gulls going absolutly bannanas out on the harbour. There were soo many way more than i've seen before and below them loads of big splashes! This was a bit to much to let happen without getting involved and with a couple of hours sunlight left ( gotta love daylight savings) i ran down to get the boat sorted.

Half an hour later i was in the thick of a huge school of kings and hooked up using a lightly weighted plastic there were soo many of them. After landing a nice fish i was on the hunt for another. For the next hour i followed the school around whenever they came up but i was buggered if i could interest another in any type of lure..... really frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed how boat and lure shy these kings have become lately?

post-7411-1223376636_thumb.jpg

Anyway at least i turned a frozen fish dinner into a fresh one. The thawed out fillets will have to be for work lunches now.

Doug.

Edited by doug43

Doug,

Very nice looking king there. To answer your question, I have seen you too fishing for kings near king schools that I have been working. I have used sluggos to hand made flies to slices. At times when they have been busting u[ everywhere ina diametre of 50 odd metres I too have found that nothing can tempt them. Normally this is later on the day I see this activity and it has been strange of late.

I am talking about lures that are one inch to 12 inches so I have tried all sizes to date.

One thing is that these schools are moving more ground this year and if your patient enough, you will find them.

Hope we can share our thoughts on this topic.

Squidboy

Doug,

Very nice looking king there. To answer your question, I have seen you too fishing for kings near king schools that I have been working. I have used sluggos to hand made flies to slices. At times when they have been busting u[ everywhere ina diametre of 50 odd metres I too have found that nothing can tempt them. Normally this is later on the day I see this activity and it has been strange of late.

I am talking about lures that are one inch to 12 inches so I have tried all sizes to date.

One thing is that these schools are moving more ground this year and if your patient enough, you will find them.

Hope we can share our thoughts on this topic.

Squidboy

Hey squid boy,

Was out there again this arvo and experienced excatly the same thing..... hooked and boated one fish on arrival and then the school went right off the boil. It's not that they wern't feeding but just not with the same ferocity as before. I can understand fish being put down if you spook the hell out of them with the boat but i would have been more than 40 mtrs away today and lobbed a wind assisted cast into them after the hook up i motored the fish away with the electric so it wasn't in the thick of the school.

This makes me think that the school must sense a hooked fish somehow and it puts them right off the lure from then on...... just an idea but i've had a few sessions on these fish and when they first appeared on the surface early september it was possible to bag out on them. Now it seems a month or so later and having had a lot of fishos chasing them about they shut down once the first fish is hooked......... or maybe i'm just looking for excuses :biggrin2:

todays fish

post-7411-1223457144_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Arrived home from work this arvo put some frozen kingy fillets out to thaw for dinner and sat down to do a little work on the laptop.

About an hour later i went out on the balcony and saw gulls going absolutly bannanas out on the harbour. There were soo many way more than i've seen before and below them loads of big splashes! This was a bit to much to let happen without getting involved and with a couple of hours sunlight left ( gotta love daylight savings) i ran down to get the boat sorted.

Half an hour later i was in the thick of a huge school of kings and hooked up using a lightly weighted plastic there were soo many of them. After landing a nice fish i was on the hunt for another. For the next hour i followed the school around whenever they came up but i was buggered if i could interest another in any type of lure..... really frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed how boat and lure shy these kings have become lately?

post-7411-1223376636_thumb.jpg

Anyway at least i turned a frozen fish dinner into a fresh one. The thawed out fillets will have to be for work lunches now.

Doug.

have you tried an unwaited squid or chunk of squid with a small amount of lead? i have caught several in the harbour this way. the squid doesnt have to be freshly caught it can be frozen as long as it is in prime condition (nice and white, not pink).

Hey squid boy,

Was out there again this arvo and experienced excatly the same thing..... hooked and boated one fish on arrival and then the school went right off the boil. It's not that they wern't feeding but just not with the same ferocity as before. I can understand fish being put down if you spook the hell out of them with the boat but i would have been more than 40 mtrs away today and lobbed a wind assisted cast into them after the hook up i motored the fish away with the electric so it wasn't in the thick of the school.

This makes me think that the school must sense a hooked fish somehow and it puts them right off the lure from then on...... just an idea but i've had a few sessions on these fish and when they first appeared on the surface early september it was possible to bag out on them. Now it seems a month or so later and having had a lot of fishos chasing them about they shut down once the first fish is hooked......... or maybe i'm just looking for excuses :biggrin2:

todays fish

post-7411-1223457144_thumb.jpg

Well done Doug, you seem to be constantly getting among those kings.

I don't know about the hooked fish scaring them off the bite as quite often you see other kingfish trying to get the lure out of the hooked fish's mouth....they are a funny fish though and can be confusing at the best of times.

Josh

well done doug,

to get a fishing report i have to boot the computer, wait for it to load, access the net, wait for that to load then search for a relevant report.

you just poke your head out the door, awesome.

well done on the fresh feed mate

well done doug,

to get a fishing report i have to boot the computer, wait for it to load, access the net, wait for that to load then search for a relevant report.

you just poke your head out the door, awesome.

well done on the fresh feed mate

Bugger me Doug - you'll be putting out your own DVD soon! You got a better 1 day strike rate than Adam Gilchrist :biggrin2:

have you tried an unwaited squid or chunk of squid with a small amount of lead? i have caught several in the harbour this way. the squid doesnt have to be freshly caught it can be frozen as long as it is in prime condition (nice and white, not pink).

I haven't tried bait for these fish but that could be the go once they get too shy. On thurs arv i did manage to hook one right down deep on a plastic after marking them up on the sounder but only one and then no more takers.... they are making us work for them now!