Batemans Bay / Clyde River

suttonscurse

Hi Guys - looking at buying an investment unit at Batemans bay which I intend to use on weekends etc when it is not tied up with holiday lettings.

Any advice on how the fishing is in the river or close to shore. (I have a 5.25 metre stacer but like to stay fairly close in as I suffer badly from sea sickness).

Thanks Bill.

There are oyster leases not far upriver from town and that whole area including the leases fishes well. If you don't mind some travel there is a great black bream population upriver on offer to you.

I have fished the Clyde on 3 separate occasions (as part of the ABT BREAM Series) and all three times it has been a bit slow but that is with lots of boats racing around and the area copping a flogging from the pro's and their nets before the event.

I am sure you won't find it hard to pull a nice bag of flatties and bream on your trip, there is lots to explore down there.

There are oyster leases not far upriver from town and that whole area including the leases fishes well. If you don't mind some travel there is a great black bream population upriver on offer to you.

I have fished the Clyde on 3 separate occasions (as part of the ABT BREAM Series) and all three times it has been a bit slow but that is with lots of boats racing around and the area copping a flogging from the pro's and their nets before the event.

I am sure you won't find it hard to pull a nice bag of flatties and bream on your trip, there is lots to explore down there.

I often camp at Shallows crossing (way up the clyde river) but have never fished while i have been there.

Several guys where we camp use to go fishing and always come back with a heap of bream. I don't ever remember a time they come back empty

If you can track down a copy of the old Ron Calcutt TV series, "River To The Sea", that will whet your appetite. It's fairly dated but they fished the Clyde from the freshwater (bass) down to the sea (kings and snapper and stuff around the Tollgate Islands). It's a great system - wish I could get down there more often.

Baz

There are massive flathead populations down there as well as leatheries and Red rock cod, from what I have seen they are only smallish, 30-40cm but you can occasionally get into the bigger ones like we have.

Apparently the Bridge is a good jewfish spot but I am yet to land a jew there, you need to be careful as the water really races through that area.

I haven't fished Batemans Bay for a long time....but a little further south lies the resident FishRaider and 'Bushy' look-a-like named 'Hodgey' in Tuross Heads.....PM the man re his Tuross system.....its very consistent all year round and the Chicken burgers from the little boat shed on the water are to die for....

There are good croc's to be had and in the summer the 'Bream on Popper' action is unbelieveable.

The best area at Batemans Bay for catching fish used to be around the Toll Gate islands but they are now part of the protected areas which extend a way out to sea.

I have tried further up the river many times without catching too much but it will not stop me trying again. Who knows I may be lucky the next time and catch the "big" one.

The clyde is a brilliant fishery with great options. I regularly fish it few bream and jew and there are an abundance. yes it can be tough like all waterways but theres plenty of fish to go around.

outside the river proper there are great options including snapper over the gravel beds, kingies and some great rock platforms.

good luck with the house and the fishing. i have some good mates down there that are on the water most days and would be hhappy to take you out on the water to get you started

Mitch