Jitterbug

bluedog

The Jitterbug has been working really really well on the bass the last couple of weeks.

A slowish roll, just enuff for it to get moving and plopping away,with a few pauses thrown in, has been working. Will be speeding up retrieves once the temps start rising, but for now, slow is good.

Assuming ur using the lure for bass that is....

Agree with Matrix, slow has been bringing home the bacon for me of late. Just fast enough too get that seductive 'plip plop' thing happening, and a whole lot of pauses anywhere from 3-10 seconds. Keep that lure in the strike zone as long as possible.

Also If fishing good structure which just cries out 'Bass live here', Try just tweeking the lure. Use the rod to flick the slack line, just enough to make the lure twitch, and produce those little rings on the surface. Same goes if you get a boof but no hook up, leave it there and just twich away, providing the fish didn't feel the hooks the first time, you can often entice another strike. Also use it to break up some of those longer pauses.

One more thing, While jitterbugs, R2S cicadas and other 'noisey' lures have been producing for me, it has mainly been through the dark hours, the bite tends to slow once the first light filters through the morning sky or vise versa in the evening. This is the time I'll swith to something a bit more subtle, usually a small fizzer like the Heddon Tiny Torpedo, this tends to entice more strikes and due to it sitting a bit arse down in the water the hook up rate is pretty bloody good. Work it similar to the Jitterbug, Slow with a few pauses, Works well with the twitch too.

Any way I've G'd myself up for an assult on the local bass so I'll leave you with it.

Dan

Agree with Matrix, slow has been bringing home the bacon for me of late. Just fast enough too get that seductive 'plip plop' thing happening, and a whole lot of pauses anywhere from 3-10 seconds. Keep that lure in the strike zone as long as possible.

Also If fishing good structure which just cries out 'Bass live here', Try just tweeking the lure. Use the rod to flick the slack line, just enough to make the lure twitch, and produce those little rings on the surface. Same goes if you get a boof but no hook up, leave it there and just twich away, providing the fish didn't feel the hooks the first time, you can often entice another strike. Also use it to break up some of those longer pauses.

One more thing, While jitterbugs, R2S cicadas and other 'noisey' lures have been producing for me, it has mainly been through the dark hours, the bite tends to slow once the first light filters through the morning sky or vise versa in the evening. This is the time I'll swith to something a bit more subtle, usually a small fizzer like the Heddon Tiny Torpedo, this tends to entice more strikes and due to it sitting a bit arse down in the water the hook up rate is pretty bloody good. Work it similar to the Jitterbug, Slow with a few pauses, Works well with the twitch too.

Any way I've G'd myself up for an assult on the local bass so I'll leave you with it.

Dan

Great advice fellas! :thumbup: I have just purchased some more jitterbugs yesterday (black and purple) for the low-light hours, and I will rely on the NW pencils and Sammys (with upgraded hooks) in the brighter hours. Good luck bluedog, and let us know how you fare.

Cheers

Hodgey

thanks guys.

first cast i got hit but missed what would have been my first ever bass.

i met another bloke who gave me a different lure to try and after a fair while i finally nailed one.

thanks for the tips i will be definitely giving the jitterbug another crack

I have got a jitterbug jrn in black which works a treat again with the techniques described above

also similar paddlers would be R2S buggi pop and even kokoda cicadas all do the trick.

the trick with bass is getting the cast into the stike zone and keeping it their for as long as possible whilst using the lure to imitate an insect that is an easy meal :thumbup:

bass can't resist, but sometimes hookups are a little hard to come, this is probably because bass are sometimes trying to submerge the lure to get a better look at it.

just be patient and hookups will come :thumbup: