Yakka Help

Simda

Hi Fish Raiders

I need some help,

I have been focusing on fishing Sydney Harbor targeting King Fish mostly with Live Yakka’s but have had very little success. :05:

I try for Squid but have only managed to get some a few times :mad3: and it has not help but I have fished right through winter so I know I can at least take some solace in the reality take it was off season :wacko:

Quite a few times now I have had the Yakka bit completely in half! :1yikes: They are taken from the tail right to the hook above the back fin, with a clean semi circle bite.

My theory is that as the Taylor attack from behind, the Taylor feels the fishing line just before they reach the hook and bite

Is there a different way for rigging a live yellow tail for tailor when the Kings are not working?

Any advise will be appreciated

Thanks to all

Dave

Hi Dave,

We frequently have the same problem with tailor. My advice would be to put a 2nd hook in the tail so that way you'll probably hook the tailor, however they've still found ways around this when i've tried it so i would put some effort into the squid.

Read the articles that Slinky has written and you should find yourself doing considerably better.

Josh

Thanks for the replies

It really helps getting advice

What size hook would you put in the tail and how would you rig a second Hook?

Also when they bite the tail, will they cut the leader?

Edited by Simda

Thanks for the replies

It really helps getting advice

What size hook would you put in the tail and how would you rig a second Hook?

Also when they bite the tail, will they cut the leader?

The best way to do this is to snell the top hook and tie the bottom hook on with a double uni.

I know its not ideal but i've done it successfully with a 4/0 or 5/0 wide gap mustad worm hook. Its quite a long hook so you can point it up to try and keep the leader away from the yakka where it'll get bitten. Also it will hook the fish in the side of the jaw most of the time, decreasing chances of biting through.

You could always use a little length of wire to attach the bottom hook but when you are targeting kings mainly it isn't worth it as they will shy away from wire.

Good Luck

Josh

a smaller treble if u want to catch tailor i normally use two owner ssw size5/0 for my livies the front one ibridal with a ziptie through the front of the eyes and just pin it lightly through the back close to the tail method has a minimal effect on the health of your bait and will last for hours but i suggest if ur bait is out there that long move

cheers ben moses