Sunday Night And The Full Moon

tide'n'knots

hi raiders,

just a quick report - went out last night and fished my usual jew spot near wisemans ferry.

all in all it was a fairly ordinary night. Started fishing about 1/2 hour before dark and pulled the pin about 1.30 am. 1 jew 48cm 1 just legal bream and a flattie a couple of cm's better than legal - threw back about 6 or 8 undersize soapys and 2 undersize bream.

Has any one else noticed that the fishing in the river is bone ordinary when there is a full moon and it is a bright night?

All the articles that you read on jew fishing recommend a full moon. I have caught probably 100 or so jewfish between myself and 2 other mates in the last 2 years or so, ranging anywhere from 4 or 5 pound up to 25pound and anywhere in between, and NEVER have I caught anything even 1/2 decent on a full moon! in fact last night was probably the best full moon session I have had.

I have a theory - what do you think?

Around the beaches and rocks and river mouths the jew are hunting for live tailor, yellowtail, and squid or worms on the beach etc and around the full moon, obviously, they can see much better to hunt, so it stands to reason this is when its best to catch them, however, where I fish, further up the river, most of the fish I catch, (probably 95 percent) are caught on peeled prawn. When is the best time to go prawning????? thats right, during the darkest period of the moon phase! so it stands to reason that the best time to catch jewfish in the river, is on a dark night when the prawns are likely to be running. Some of the best catches i have had in the river have been on a dark night when its overcast and drizziling rain! and no moon!

I would love to read some feedback on this subject from you guys -what are your thoughts? and with the hawkesbury classic coming up soon do you think the organisers have done the right thing running it around the full moon? maybe more fish would be caught on the dark of the moon? what do you think?

G'day mate, myself and two other jewfish tragics, (namely my brother and JJ) have caught them on every phase of the moon. Full moon has been excellent as has the new moon. There are indeed more factors than just the moon and tide. Barometer, water temp, size of the tide, air temp, wind direction, humidity and most importantly the one thing that attracts jew to the area.......Bait!

People will will be rolling on the floor in hysterics with the "air temp and humidity" comment but i believe this to be more crucial than the moon phase. I won't go into too much detail because this post will end up an essay and nobody needs to be put through that..... :074:

Keen to hear other peoples comments/observations.

Regards

Red

G'day mate, myself and two other jewfish tragics, (namely my brother and JJ) have caught them on every phase of the moon. Full moon has been excellent as has the new moon. There are indeed more factors than just the moon and tide. Barometer, water temp, size of the tide, air temp, wind direction, humidity and most importantly the one thing that attracts jew to the area.......Bait!

People will will be rolling on the floor in hysterics with the "air temp and humidity" comment but i believe this to be more crucial than the moon phase. I won't go into too much detail because this post will end up an essay and nobody needs to be put through that..... :074:

Keen to hear other peoples comments/observations.

Regards

Red

hey red thanks for the feed back its much appreciated. just wondering what part of the river and what bait you have caught jew on during the full moon? I still think the prawns and when they run have a bit to do with it. Conventional live baits and squid dont seem to work where i fish anywhere near as well as peeled prawn however having said that nothing beats a fresh tailor slab or livey anywhere from bar point towords the mouth of the river!

Agreed Red.

There are many factors that need to line up & each spot is different.

I've found the night of or just after the full moon the be pretty poor, however I've had really good fishing about 3-4 days before the full.

Looking through my old dairies shows a trend of good fishing on the waning moon, new to full, but not so good on a waxing moon, full to new.

I'd be interested to read other peoples experiences as well.

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day,

Mate i am no fan of jewfishing on the full moon.

My best was a new moon. I stop 2-3 days before the full moon and start again 2 -3 days after.

I must admit however that i personally saw a 25kg jewie caught during the day after a full moon night.

I cant work it out but for me i dont like the full moon.

At my favourite spot in middle harbour the full moon period just doesnt provide the goods. It certainly is possible though during that period that my techniques need to change to suit for success.

PS MH is so dead for jewies ATM. All i can find is bait balls of yakkas, slimies and suicidal squid. I guess the jewies havent moved in yet or they are right upriver. Water temp is now over 18C. My theory on their late appearance in MH is due to the water quality - suspended particle matter in the water. There was a recent report of an algae bloom at Clontarf.

Mike

G'day,

Mate i am no fan of jewfishing on the full moon.

My best was a new moon. I stop 2-3 days before the full moon and start again 2 -3 days after.

I must admit however that i personally saw a 25kg jewie caught during the day after a full moon night.

I cant work it out but for me i dont like the full moon.

At my favourite spot in middle harbour the full moon period just doesnt provide the goods. It certainly is possible though during that period that my techniques need to change to suit for success.

PS MH is so dead for jewies ATM. All i can find is bait balls of yakkas, slimies and suicidal squid. I guess the jewies havent moved in yet or they are right upriver. Water temp is now over 18C. My theory on their late appearance in MH is due to the water quality - suspended particle matter in the water. There was a recent report of an algae bloom at Clontarf.

Mike

I saw evidence of that algae bloom yesterday Mike. Wierd pink algae on the surface.

I've found the night of or just after the full moon the be pretty poor,

Grant, i share the same experiences. These are the only nights we will not fish.

The effort/reward ratio has been poor at best. Some will disagree and thats the beauty of fishing. No one method is right and as you say, different locations fire on different conditions. You do hear of the odd good capture on the night of the moon but i'd rather spend these nights with the family and friends.

Cheers

Red

Hi All,

My piece to the puzzle in point form..

1) Jew will feed on any moon phase.

2) Jew are full of food come the night of the full moon - they usually spend a few nights before to feed.

3) Prawns runs on the dark of the moon - excellent time to fish for them..

4) Barometer is a huge factor to jewfish success..

5) Jewfish bite all year round.

6) Find the bait and you find the fish.

7) Shifting winds puts jew of the bite - shifting directions in a 24 hour period.

8) Change tactic or spots If the fish are not biting. Sometimes jew feed on the surface or midewater.

9) Biggest mistake I have seen people do is to use big chunky leads on their rigs at all times.

10) Full moon = king tides = jew feed more in the shallows, not in the deep holes or channels.

11) Jew can be caught any time of the day or night!

12) Day is good to fish in holes - night better to fish in shallower water.

13) Jew are lazy fish and feed where there is plenty of bait - prawns, whiting, hearing, mullet, tailor, yackas, nippers, and squid.

14) Don't do what everyone else does - think outside the square and you will have success.

15) It pays to burley if things are quiet.

Good luck

Living on the river I have found the same as you.Full moon is never as good as a overcast showery day for the Jews.Good news though the prawning boats have finally started working ,which means prawns are starting to appear :thumbup: ,hence the flatties should be moving up the river. :1fishing1: I will be trying for jew around wisemans & laughtondale in the next week so will hopefully be able to post a good fishing session soon.Re:the classic it has been a shocker :ranting2: the last couple years lets hope the weather is better this year and a better range of fish species is weighted in!

Regards Jeff

Living on the river I have found the same as you.Full moon is never as good as a overcast showery day for the Jews.Good news though the prawning boats have finally started working ,which means prawns are starting to appear :thumbup: ,hence the flatties should be moving up the river. :1fishing1: I will be trying for jew around wisemans & laughtondale in the next week so will hopefully be able to post a good fishing session soon.Re:the classic it has been a shocker :ranting2: the last couple years lets hope the weather is better this year and a better range of fish species is weighted in!

Regards Jeff

Hi jeff,

thanks for your comments. I think a lot of people who have read my original post are forgetting that we are talking about an area of the river 40km upstream from the mouth. I honestly beleive that the fish who have travelled that far upstream are feeding almost exclusively on prawns, they feed on what is most readily available - when in rome!!!! I beleive this means to a certain degree that to be successful on a regular basis your tactics have to change to suit the circumstances putting a live yakka out is probably not going to work any better than a peeled prawn at the mouth of the river - at flint and steel or juno point their diet is completely different. Hence the darker the night, the more likely prawns are about and you are more likley to have success! at the other end of the river I am sure its the opposite.

Tight lines

T'n'K

Hi jeff,

thanks for your comments. I think a lot of people who have read my original post are forgetting that we are talking about an area of the river 40km upstream from the mouth. I honestly beleive that the fish who have travelled that far upstream are feeding almost exclusively on prawns, they feed on what is most readily available - when in rome!!!! I beleive this means to a certain degree that to be successful on a regular basis your tactics have to change to suit the circumstances putting a live yakka out is probably not going to work any better than a peeled prawn at the mouth of the river - at flint and steel or juno point their diet is completely different. Hence the darker the night, the more likely prawns are about and you are more likley to have success! at the other end of the river I am sure its the opposite.

Tight lines

T'n'K

Excellent post T'n'k :thumbup: Still, when the prawns a not running what about mixing big fresh out of area baits up that way?

Cheers

jewgaffer :thumbup:

Excellent post T'n'k :thumbup: Still, when the prawns a not running what about mixing big fresh out of area baits up that way?

Cheers

jewgaffer :thumbup:

Hi jewgaffer,

conventional jew baits DO work here the same as anywhere - large fish have large appetites, and if there are no prawns they still have to eat! I guess thats why you hear from time to time of some lucky angler landing a large jew at danger island or somewhere on a prawn! I have caught them at this end of the river on live mullet squid and slimey fillets but its just an observation of mine that peeled prawn definately out fishes everything else I have tried. Remember, also, the fish i am catching are mostly schoolies 6 to 10 pound, most people fishing an area like flint and steel are targeting fish 20 to 40 pound with forocious appetites! We have found in the gut section of our jew any thing from prawns to small fish and even small eels! Hopefully this discussion will help other raiders targeting the upper reaches to have a little more success - and thats what its all about!

tight lines.

T'n'K

so much for my original comment that this was just a quick report!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tide'n'knots. I can't say much about the moon phases as I could never find a constant to compare one moon from the other, except to say I didn't do any good anywhere I fished when the moon was almost full of black on the left hand side and had a narrow sickle shape on the right. In the back of my mind prawns would be out of area baits when prawns are not running but in my case it would worry me getting baited and not knowing that I was getting baited in the lively periods which would be the times when I would drive down from Campbelltown if I was to have a session up there. Years ago we used to stay at ma and pa Hanna's boatshed and I have a real liking for that area. Every time I miss out near the mouth which has been most of this winter, I am always thinking that the upriver section was the only place holding jewfish and the problem was the lack of reports as an incentive for me to drive so far.

Cheers mate. I like your ideas and input into the lower reaches and perhaps we can see what we can do up there sometime, the season being as it is.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Tide'n'knots. I can't say much about the moon phases as I could never find a constant to compare one moon from the other, except to say I didn't do any good anywhere I fished when the moon was almost full of black on the left hand side and had a narrow sickle shape on the right. In the back of my mind prawns would be out of area baits when prawns are not running but in my case it would worry me getting baited and not knowing that I was getting baited in the lively periods which would be the times when I would drive down from Campbelltown if I was to have a session up there. Years ago we used to stay at ma and pa Hanna's boatshed and I have a real liking for that area. Every time I miss out near the mouth which has been most of this winter, I am always thinking that the upriver section was the only place holding jewfish and the problem was the lack of reports as an incentive for me to drive so far.

Cheers mate. I like your ideas and input into the lower reaches and perhaps we can see what we can do up there sometime, the season being as it is.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:thanks for the comments jewgaffer, the area i fish is relatively shallow 15ft or so and quite sandy a typical area where you would expect prawns would be attracted to, so this could be another large piece of the puzzle. some times when we pull the anchor there are small squirt worms in the sand on the anchor and we have found that if you take the time to pump some worms on low tide this area fishes well for bream during the day also, having said that last may i caught a 22lb'er and a 25lb'er both in the middle of the day the 22lb'er on a slab of tailor and the 25lb'er on - you guessed it - peeled prawn!

we only fish with 10 to 15 lb line as there is nothing for the fish to run around and if they do happen to take heaps of line as a 20lb speciman did once to me i just pop the rod in the holder start the motor and up anchor after it. If your ever down that way and spot me on the river - say g'day. My boat is called tide'n'knots. cheers.

This is a very interesting read fellas! :thumbup:

I know barometric pressure can have a huge effect on fishing in general. My question is, what barometric effect do you look for when chasing jewies? Is it a particular reading (like the fabled 1020), or is it the fact that it is rising or falling? Appreciate your feedback...

Cheers

Hodgey

This is a very interesting read fellas! :thumbup:

I know barometric pressure can have a huge effect on fishing in general. My question is, what barometric effect do you look for when chasing jewies? Is it a particular reading (like the fabled 1020), or is it the fact that it is rising or falling? Appreciate your feedback...

Cheers

Hodgey

hows it goin hodgey,

i dont know a real lot about barametric pressure and how it effects how and where I fish eccept to say that I have had success when a storm is brewing or it is already raining and feel a lot more confident about my chances during those conditions, so I think that would mean the pressure is falling - would that be correct?

hows it goin hodgey,

i dont know a real lot about barametric pressure and how it effects how and where I fish eccept to say that I have had success when a storm is brewing or it is already raining and feel a lot more confident about my chances during those conditions, so I think that would mean the pressure is falling - would that be correct?

If everything I have spoken about in regard to moon phases is correct then this weekend should be better than last weekend - time will tell!