Fluorocarbon

tentonner

pretty basic question surrounding fluorocarbon so i'm sure more experienced

fishos than myself will know.

What is it and how does it differ from normal line?

i've caught this fishing bug recently (since Dad got a boat) and am desperate to

find out everything i can.

Cheers

hey mate... i cant get 2 technical but from what i do know is that apparently is invisible in water as opposed 2 mono... it also sinks.. so if ur float fishing i dont reccomend it... but as a leader 4 bream.. its ll i use...

actually its all i use when fishing any estuarine or freshwater system... also handy as a leader when lure fishing....

also use it as a leader when cubing 4 fin...

as they can be finicky sometimes...

I don't know anything about the chemistry and I'm no expert tentonner but I can at least give you an outline... there's bound to be raiders who are experts in the area.

Most 'fishing line' is made from nylon. Fluorocarbon line has a number of significant differences that make it very suitable to some fishing.

The first and most common one talked about is that it has a refractive index close to that of water. This means that it is less visible underwater than nylon. That's one of the main reasons a lot of people (me included) often use fluorocarbon as leader material (the other being that it's expensive so filling spools with it is prohibitive). It's popularity has grown out of the whole 'finesse fishing' idea.

Another trait is that it is harder and more abrasion resistant than most nylon monofilament lines... also good to have down at the business end.

A third is that it has less stretch than nylon lines (but a lot more than braid of course). This does mean though that you'll occasionally see fishos who want a bit of stretch in their rig when using braid main line with fluorocarbon leader, also include a length of nylon leader as a bit of a 'shock absorber'.

Who really knows how many extra fish all this catches?? Certainly some but probably not heaps. That said I use it because it gives me at least some advantage and certainly more confidence (and because I'm an addicted tackle ho).

Hope this helps

Slinky

Both the boys have covered all the important info for you. Fluro has really come into it's own with finesse styles of fishing. For me;it's a piece of mind. Whether you are fishing the dreaded oyster leases, or your leader is suffering incredible rasping in the mouth of a big flathead, its abrasion resistance quality brings it to the fore.

I used to use it extensively for all fishing, but now you will find monofilament leaders attached to my surface lures, due to its floating qualities over fluro. This is particularly relevant to bream and whiting on surface lures. And as for fluro's low visibilty underwater? I'll take any advantage I can get :biggrin2:

I will be interested in reading info from some of the fellas who fish the deeper waters and see what their preference is. Fly-fishos have their own preferences as well, and I think it has a lot to do with knot-tying capabilities (?). Again ... let's see what the fluffchuckers have to say.

Cheers

Hodgey

i do use fluro also when im fishing 4 reds hodgey... but only if im anchored and fishing floaters... but when im bottom bouncing 4 mowies or flatties.. no need 2 go 2 the expanse.. they are pretty dumb fish and pretty much hook themselves... :)

Edited by spikey

thanks very much guys i had a bit of an idea of what it was

used for but you've cleared that all up for me

also do you tend to use a leader with a greater breaking strain?

eg if i've got 10lb braid would I use a leader of about 12-14lb?

thanks for all the help

nah definately not mate.. u want ur leader 2 be less then ur main line.. that way u never break ur main line u will only ever break ur leader... in the bays and fresh i use 4kg main and 8lb leader... offshore bottom bouncing i run 30lb main and 25 leader... but when cubing 4 yellowfin ill run 50lb main and 60-80lb leader.. but only coz u need the extra strength on the bigger fish....

if im fishing 4 flatties or tailor i might wanna use a thicker leader also just because they have teeth and it gives u a little more protection!

so really depends on ur fish u are targeting.,... but for general fishing id say stick 2 a little lighter trace

nah definately not mate.. u want ur leader 2 be less then ur main line.. that way u never break ur main line u will only ever break ur leader... in the bays and fresh i use 4kg main and 8lb leader... offshore bottom bouncing i run 30lb main and 25 leader... but when cubing 4 yellowfin ill run 50lb main and 60-80lb leader.. but only coz u need the extra strength on the bigger fish....

if im fishing 4 flatties or tailor i might wanna use a thicker leader also just because they have teeth and it gives u a little more protection!

so really depends on ur fish u are targeting.,... but for general fishing id say stick 2 a little lighter trace

Just remember though tentonner that braid breaks at a higher capacity than its says it does (in most cases) so you can afford to have a heavier leader than braid mainline, that way you'll get a little bit extra abrasion resistance.

Josh

Edited by Josh88