Clarify Bag Limit For Me

livo

Without detracting from the top efforts in a current report I would like to have clarified the fisheries definition of a "Bag Limit". Taken straight from the fisheries site under Saltwater Bag Limits is this sentence.

Bag limit is the maximum number of fish per person in possession.

Link here. Saltwater Bag Limits

Is this saying that driving home with 40 fish of one species "in possession", when the bag limit is 20 is illegal? Perhaps some most-learned Raider could answer this and determine whether the above-mentioned post is a good idea.

Just found this so I think I've answered my own question.

Possession limit

A possession limit is the maximum number of fish that a person is allowed to have in their possession at any time. Possession limits provide a useful tool to discourage illegal sales of fish by constraining recreational fishers from accumulation commercial quantities of fish. For all saltwater species, the daily bag limit is the possession limit and it applies to all areas of the state.

Edited by livo

Guest Big-Banana

For instance a sand flathead, you can take 20 per person. If you have two people on board, you can take a maximum of 40 fish.

What it means is that if you go fishing for 2 days and you bag out on the first day, you are not allowed to keep any from the second day's fishing unless you have eaten some.

Say you eat five you can only keep another five so your total "in possession" remains at 20.

Is this saying that driving home with 40 fish of one species "in possession", when the bag limit is 20 is illegal? Perhaps some most-learned Raider could answer this and determine whether the above-mentioned post is a good idea.

There's three limits:

- Bag limit - per person, per day. So 2 people in a boat can bring home 40 flatties (20 each)

- Possession limit - per person, includes the fish you've just caught, and the fish in your freeze. So technically, if you have 10 flatties at home in the freezer, you can only catch (and keep) 10 more whilst fishing. This stops you picking up 20 flatties a day over 10 days (200 in total) and selling them at the market. Possession limit is the same as bag limit in NSW.

- Boat limit. Max of a type of fish allowed to be caught by a boat. Gemfish is the only example in NSW with a boat limit, and you are limited to 10 per boat per 24 hour period. So if there are 10 people in the boat - still only allowed to catch 10.

Mike

I was of the same opion when reading the post. :mad3: Fishing is a sport with the added advantage of getting a feed for your effort :1fishing1: . Bag limmit dosn't mean thats what you take. :1badmood: If everyone baged out we would be no worse than the pro,s who under the guise of the law wiped out much of the breeding stock in the bay's. Thank god that a lot of the licences have been bought back & the fish have started to regain their numbers for all to enjoy the sport :1fishing1: . Lets hope they do eat there catch & its not just for the photo. :thumbdown:

Jeff

These rules are very contentious at the best of times and are a guide for recreational fishers.

Fisher- people that hold our sport dear to their heart will always have moral dilemmas about how many fish they want to take responsibly.

How many people ever get the chance to actually bag out ?

How many people actually do take their bag limit when possible?

Only the angler can make that sort of decision on any given day.

Fishing responsibly in this day and age is now encouraged, but that said if you as an angler wish to fish to the limit of the rules and actually bag out that's up to you.

As long as the fish are not wasted and you fish to the rules thats all you can ask of any angler.

This will be closed as of now as we have strict rules on the site about this issue and will adhere to them until the rules set out by the Government of this State and any other State of Australia change.

Thank you all for your concerns and tight lines to you all.

Regards Admin