Sorry For The Late Report

slinkymalinky

Apologies for the lateness of this one but since it was such a memorable day and included me catching my first ever fish on rod & reel I really wanted to post the report.

Went for a fish in 1973. Headed out early with dad in his white Holden station wagon, leaving mum and my brother in the pub in Strahan (Tasmania). Took along my brand new canary-yellow, solid glass Jarvis Walker rod & reel combo loaded up with high tech nylon line instead of the green chord hand lines I'd used up until that point.

The air was so cool that mist was rising from the tannin stained water of Macquarie Harbour as dad rigged my outfit with a simple paternoster. I was allowed to put the bait on the hook... a small piece of raw steak kept aside by mum from last night's dinner.

The silver-grey boards of the old jetty were a little rickety and looking between my feet I could see the dark water. It looked really ominous but not the sort of water I thought fish would live in... after all it looked just like Dad's black coffee.

But, with the trust a son saves specially for his dad, I patiently waited for the bites he said would come. And wouldn't you know it... Rat,tat,tat.

I had a fish on. A real life panicky, wriggly fish. "wind, wind" urged dad. A child's adrenalin made the minute or two of the fight seem like an hour but finally I had him on the weathered planks. My very first fish on rod and line. A little "Beardie" that to this day I'd swear must have been a couple of kilos.

post-6175-1224400966_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that something went wrong with the camera because it sure doesn't do justice to the size that fish was as a part of my early life.

Forgive my self indulgence for my 1000th post but having not been on the water for longer than I care to think about I wanted to at least make it worthwhile.

Cheers, Slinky