Whats The Size Limit Of Boats Being Left On The Road?

whi7eindustries

So I've finally bought my first boat, and now trying to decide where to keep it. I've seen heaps of boats left on O'Sullivan road (rose bay) which is really near where i live and also very close to a boat ramp and gas station, so perfect. But my boat is a 20ft Savage Marlin, and I'm wondering if I'm allowed to keep a boat that size on the road? I heard anything under 23ft was acceptable..... anyone know the real story????

So I've finally bought my first boat, and now trying to decide where to keep it. I've seen heaps of boats left on O'Sullivan road (rose bay) which is really near where i live and also very close to a boat ramp and gas station, so perfect. But my boat is a 20ft Savage Marlin, and I'm wondering if I'm allowed to keep a boat that size on the road? I heard anything under 23ft was acceptable..... anyone know the real story????

I always thought providing it is registered (trailer) and you were legally entitled to park there you are okay?

i have seen boats bigger than yours parked on the street for years. however, a workmate once told me his mate had problems parking his boat on quiet suburban street. one of the neighbours complained it was blocking his view and it went through council. he parked the boat further down the street and was again complained about. he eventually knocked down the front fence and parked it on the lawn. in the end it was a no win situation for both parties.

so i'm guessing, council rangers turn a blind eye till someone complains. but yea check with rta.

you can even email them, they're ok with response times

Mate, as long as it is registered and weighs under 4.5T GVM it is perfectly legal. If it weighs over 4.5T then it must be parked/secured off the road, which includes the council nature strip. Another thing to remember is you must not park it less then 3m to a centre dividing line, that also incurs a penalty.

If it does weigh over the 4.5t mark then it can only be parked on a residential street for a max period of one hour. It must then be moved.

Nathan.

Edited by njsconst

I know 2 councils that actually have a further bylaw who do ask people to move trailers and boats on. Not sure how it would go in court but some roads are council and some are RTA but just like localised parking restrictions Councils can apply them.. Call the Rangers section of your local council area you will park in as if the trailer will not fit in a standard XX feet paking spot you may have an issue.

Osullivan Rd has been in the news for years with boats parked or dumped there awaiting sale by people who do not live in the area and also the bloke who ran the tinny rental taking up 6 street spots. The tree sap down there will send you nuts anyway. They did fine people for chaining to posts or trees and based the fine on obstruction of footpath and danger to public. I thought they changed the vast majority of it so that it was no longer no limits parking. There was always a lot of theft from boats down there and locals who lived neaby insurance premiums were through the roof unless stored off street and secure.

North Sydney council is currently having issues with boats being stored on the street in Kiribilli as residents are missing out on parking outside their houses or even in their street. They are trying to implement something and it has been an issue at Litte Manly with vandalism of boats.

I know from a family members insurance claim years ago that a trailer doesn't have the same rights on a road as a car unless attached to a car and be prepared to be bent over by an insurance company because of it. If a car hits your boat / trailer and it is not attached to a car your insurance company may play a very hard game.

The local coppers at Rose bay are a good bunch so drop in and have a chat as they know what has gone on down there over the years.

Blimey it seems there's more than a few issues with this then, I'm working just round the corner from Rose Bay police, so I'll drop in tomorrow and see what they say, had a look at the signs they've now put up, AREA 2 Rose Bay permits only, bit of a bugger as I'm on the other side of Old South Head road and won't be entitled to a resident pass. Trying to find an empty street in Bondi with summer coming is nigh on impossible, let alone one to keep a 20ft boat, then there's the slackpackers to worry about.

Thanks for everyones help, at least I know its legit to keep on the road somewhere. Big day on Saturday, can't wait to go get it......woooooohoooooooo