Jig Heads And Jig Head Paints

slayer666

hi all just a quick question does it really matter what brand of jig heads is used cause i bought some bassmaster jig heads and they look fine and i also got the berkely nitro and just want to know the difference.

Also does painting the jig head to match the soft plastic help improve your catch?

Any help would be great as i want to expand my knowlegde on the soft plastic world

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

They are both good jig heads. Were the bassmaster ones you got a round ball head or darter style ie pointy. I am going to guess that they are ball heads and the nitro's that you got are darter style. They difference is that the darter style heads impart a bit more action in to the tail by making it dart to each side when you give it a jerk, this style of head is especially good for minnow style lures, ie jer shads, bass minnows, flick baits etc as it gives it a wounded baitfish type action.

The ball heads are better for fish or shad style lures. and basically imparts no additional action into the lure but lets it sink straight down head first. Both heads have their place.

As for painting them, it depends on who you talk to. I just use them straight from the packet and do fine on flatties and have caught quite a few bream and trevs whilst targeting flatties. However some people rekon it does assist with flatties and that is something i am going to try this year.

G'day Joe,

Another thing to look at when you buy jig heads is the hooks. Not just the quality and the size (get jig heads made on high quality, chemically sharpened hooks) but also the gauge (wire thickness).

A lot of soft plastics fishing is done with light line so it pays then to use fine gauge wire hooks. This allows you the hook to penetrate with minimal pressure. The trade-off is that they are not as strong... so if you're fishing with heavier line or for fish where you might need to put the brakes on hard (like snapper or kingfish for example) is pays to use heavy gauge hooks.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Slayer, firstly I rarely use any painted heads for my placcies, (except for the squidgy fish heads which I don't use much) I do use a range of different weights though, last year Hutch and I were flicking the same placcies at Patonga, he had none and I had 5 flatties and we were using the same placcies and the same technique , the difference was the head weight, he swapped over the 1/8th and nearly straight away he was getting flatties. I guess what I am trying to say is personally I think the weight to conditions factor is very important. I use Gama's 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, also the nitro's, and for Reddies I use cobra 29's 1/4, and 1/2 oz's.. Hope this helps ... Cheers...