Which Hard Body To Use And Where

BUSTER 1

Fishing for bream and flathead in the estuary which HB lure would you blokes use ,and what would be the best depth

Below is pic of the sort lures I would be using

post-571-1224627124_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help and info

Cheers Garry

Edited by swordfisherman

Those lures would be ok for flathead in depths up to 3 meters.

For bream ,much smaller lures like sx-40s and around 40 to 50 mil long.

These small bream lures work best up to 2 mts and thats about as far down as you want to fish or around structure like marinas,rock walls and bridges.

Cheers Stewy

hey gary go get some jig heads and plastics awsome fun but if you raelly want to chase bream with hard bodies get some shallow running chubbys or sx 40's as stewy said or even some ecogear blades all will work great if used in the right conditions

dont forget some poppers to

mick]

Edited by breamhntr

Gees Hodgey that colour nilsie in 5cm was a favorite for catching pike that we used for livebait off southend jetty on Curtis Island a long time ago It also caught me my biggest bream of 1.9kg in the Calliope river I think I still have one somewhere full of teethmarks :biggrin2:

Just had a look and cant find it :05:

Edited by The Iceman

Hey hodgie just a question about that scorpion you got there. I have got about 5 in the 35mm range and have only tried them recently after being in my tackle box for about a year. Mine have that plastic bib and connection as well. The problem i am having is that they seem to work on retrieve for about 3 quick jerks but then they start spinning out and not providing any action . I am only using 4lb line and trim the knot really short, have tried loop, uni and blood knot.

Then i bought another one the other day and it still has a plastic bib with the plastic connection but it also has a split ring on it at the connection end, which the other ones do not have. I havnt tested this one to see if the split ring solves the prob, but have you found similar problems or have any suggestions?:

G'Day Dicko

I have been chucking them around for yonks and have been fortunate enough not to encounter the problem you mention. I use a very big loop knot when I use them. I have found they have a tendancy to roll on their side if the retrieve is too fast. I also downsize the hooks by 1 size. Try changing the hooks (down or up 1 size) and see if this helps mate.

I usually fish these a little different to the SX40s. I give the rod tip two quick jerks to get it down about 2 feet, then wind in the slack as it wriggles its way to the surface. I find this particularly effective around rocky outcrops. Sorry I couldn't be more help mate

Hodgey

G'Day Dicko

I have been chucking them around for yonks and have been fortunate enough not to encounter the problem you mention. I use a very big loop knot when I use them. I have found they have a tendancy to roll on their side if the retrieve is too fast. I also downsize the hooks by 1 size. Try changing the hooks (down or up 1 size) and see if this helps mate.

I usually fish these a little different to the SX40s. I give the rod tip two quick jerks to get it down about 2 feet, then wind in the slack as it wriggles its way to the surface. I find this particularly effective around rocky outcrops. Sorry I couldn't be more help mate

Hodgey

Yeah i was really quite disappointed. I used to go up and fish the clarence river with my pop every holidays for big bream and then started getting into the lures about 2004, unfortunatley he passed away around then and I had bought a bunch of the scorpions. I didnt get up there again until a few weeks ago and when i pulled them out the 2 that i tried had the same problem. I would give a couple of turns of the handle to get them down and they would be fine, then another couple of slight jerks and they'd still be good, but then that was it...they started swimming on their side! Il have to go experiment in the shallows a bit more and try and see whats up.