Do Mullet Take Flies Consistently?

my03

hey guys, you know those massive 50cm mullet that school up, you can occasionally get them to take bread but is it possible to get them to take flies like bread flies or insects cocnsistently? what exactly do those things feed on? might be some good fun on a light fly setup sightfished

cheers

Edited by my03

Those big bully sea mullett are hard to get on anything.

I use to catch the odd 30cm mullet on bread flies, but would usually have to add a little actual bread to the fly to get consistent results.

Trick is to get them into a feeding frenzy with the bread, then place your fly right in the hot zone so they are competing to just smack it.

I've been noticing on TV, vids etc that a number of big mullett are accidentally getting caught on soft plastics.

I was done the river (LCR) yesterday afternoon with the 4# flyrod and a dry fly flicking at them, the swirls came up and around the fly but I think this was a fluke, no takes though. Might try a small nymph dropper off a dry next time. the day I hook one it will be a great fight.

cheers

hey guys, you know those massive 50cm mullet that school up, you can occasionally get them to take bread but is it possible to get them to take flies like bread flies or insects cocnsistently? what exactly do those things feed on? might be some good fun on a light fly setup sightfished

cheers

many years ago i fished the Mary river in Gympie QLD (freshwater). A local told me to use the green weed that was growing in the river at the time and it worked a treat! maybe a fly that you would use for blackfish will work?

hope this helps.

T'n'K.