Hooked A Bloody Sea Monster

yakfishing

Went out to Clifto today for a social fish off the wharf with my brother and a mate. Got some shitty servo prawns, rigged up sat back for a nice relaxing afternoon beer. Next thing I feel something having a go at the prawn, I felt a bit of weight so gave a good solid strike and awoke a huge, sluggish, dopey monster who proceed to slowly but surely peel away my 12 pound out into deeper water. After about 4 minutes of this it's like he suddenly realises - shit I have a hook in me and takes off with a bit more bollocks. Not a blistering speed again, but just a constant pull at a consistent speed for the next 4 minutes. Not looking like stopping anytime soon and my spool starting to look pretty bare, I figure well that’s that then. But the bugger finally slows and I start trying to get some line back for the next 6 minutes and hardly getting anywhere as I’m also fighting a back and shoulder injury. Already Im starting to feel a bit achy, then the big fella says – *yawn* Ive had enough of this crap, strips some more line off at decent rate and pop goes the leader. Never thought I’d be kind of relieved feeling the slack on the end of the line, but spending hours trying to pull in what was most likely a big-arse stingray and stuffing up my back for the next week wasn’t that appealing anyway.

Very quiet for the rest of the day tho a few guys pulled some nice trevs. I don’t blame any fish for not touching the shittiest prawns ive ever come across. I hate servo prawns and will buy fresh whenever possible. Had a good day anyways.

Sounds like it might of been a big stinga, although i find they usually take off like a rocket when hooked, sluggish feel is a bit odd. Must of had a fair bit of size though, bummer you didn't get to have a decent look at it, so annoying when you don't even know what it is thats doing it to you.

next time...

Sounds like it might of been a big stinga, although i find they usually take off like a rocket when hooked, sluggish feel is a bit odd. Must of had a fair bit of size though, bummer you didn't get to have a decent look at it, so annoying when you don't even know what it is thats doing it to you.

next time...

Hi Darwin Harbour Off mandorah 2 yrs ago.

Out in rooftopper. (van in mandorah pub) Missus on board. Mate and his other half alongside. Trolling a brand new $30 Swivel back lure. Looks real sexy.

10 minutes into troll. Full roller. 30lb stick. Lever drag reel, 65 lb braid. Rod slowly bends. Damn. Weed.

Then the weed moves.

Towed me about 3 miles or more. In front. Behind. on top. beside. made no difference.

Full drag. spool slowly ticking over. Boat doing 3 knots on gps. mate beside us. Must have been quite a sight.

Cracked him off b4 he took me under Mandorah jetty. Lemon shark everybody reckons. They get up over 400kg's there. and if it wasn't. it must have been one of the Collins Class Sub's based there. it wasn't slowing down...

and lost my bloody new lure. Bummer..

macka17

Haha good story. I thought about a shark for a second when he was on but whatever it was definitely had a chew on that rancid old prawn and I could only see a stinga doing that. it didnt seem like he just rubbed against it and jagged himself or anything cuz he was sitting on it when I struck. Come to think of it tho, what are port jackson sharks like on the end of the line and how fussy are they?