Quick Thanks To Slinky For His Article On Squidfishing

Andy Loops

Wanted to point ppl in the direction of the articles Slink wrote in Aug 08 on squidding in sydney harbour and the spit. I read those and decided to take number 1 son down to the boat for a flick of some jigs. Ended up with 8 squid in a coupla hours which was much better than the odd 1 or 2 that we usually pick up. I am seriously the world's worst squid fisherman but there is a line in one of the articles that reads - go out there with ONLY your squid jigs - and have fun. We learned alot.

The very (very) slow retrieve was the secret I think.. also I was using egimax on the jigs - seemed that every 3rd cast after a spray (maybe after the scent got to a certain level) we were getting mauled by little inkers.

Needless to say the 3 year old had a blast and will be back out there with me again for sure. Although, it did take a while to convince him that they were squids rather than Octopii. As this is the first meal sized bag of squid that have made their way home I am preparing them for the steamer as we speak..

cheers,

Andy