Tasmania

Moro Mou

Hello Members,

Sorry for the delay however been one of those weeks.

Last weekend a group of mates and myself hit Tassie (Great Lakes region) to have a crack a one of Tassies big trout. We were all keen to fish both fly and plastics but for 2 of our group this would hopefully be there first opportunity to catch a fish on fly.

Day 1 was Arthur’s lake and despite what can only be described as miserable conditions we were all very keen to hit the water. We all spent the morning wading the shores and using a combination of dry and wet fly techniques. While the morning was pretty slow and we were getting dealt some horrendous weather one of the boys was hooked and landed a nice 45 cm Brown Trout on a Woolly Bugger. This was the only fish before lunch but the afternoon things changed for the better. Using dry, Loch style techniques everyone managed a fish except me!! For two of the guys it was their first ever catch on fly so my grumbles were definitely drowned out with their joy.

We ended up keeping 5 fish to 47 cm (the only ones kept for the trip) and arranged for the pub to cook them for us. Given there was 5 of us I didn’t go hungry despite not catching one.

Day 2 – we hit Arthurs again and basically tried similar tactics to the day before. The day was a complete turnaround from the day before however this meant that it was going to be much harder on the fly fishing front. So it wasn’t long before the plastics came out and within half a dozen cast a had hooked and landed my first ever Brown trout. At 52 cm I was certainly pleased with myself. The other boys were quick to follow suit and the fly rods were downed and replaced with light spin sticks and rubbers. In the end we all had a great day with all of us bar 1 catching at least 2 fish. The biggest was 53 cm but we had taken 4 over 50 cm. As all were released it was steak for dinner that night.

Day 3 – As we were all departing that evening our 3rd and final day was spent working our way back to the airport but stopping and fishing any accessible water along the way. This is certainly something that Tassie does well in terms of its access to inland rivers. By the lack of rubbish etc it looks as though most people don’t take things for advantage and look after the fishing areas.

Our final day turned out to be another cracker with all of us managing fish however this time smaller rainbow trout. Most fish were legal (only have to be 22 cm in the river we were fishing) but all fish were released. We managed 32 between the 5 of us with the biggest being 32 cm so I think pretty respectable.

In summary 5 blokes, 3 days, 16 Brown Trout, 32 Rainbow Trout and 4 redfin I think sums up a pretty good weekend.

A few pics attached

Cheers

sounds like a good trip

pity the pics didn't come up

Yeah - sorry still working on the pics i don't think i could get the size small enough.

And MPreston55 - yes the Redfin were far from welcome and certainly did not go back into the river.

48 trout is a crackin' weekend mate :1yikes::yahoo:

I have no complaints about catching redfin, because I reckon they are a great eating fish. Last time I was down in Vic, redfin fillets were not the least expensive fish for sale in the butchers :biggrin2:

Great report mate. Sounds like a fantastic trip away!

Cheers

Hodgey

Having trouble with the pics as they are in a different format.

Anyway here is one.

Getting hang of this now. 1 more attached of the biggest Brown.

Hodgey - agree reddies are good on the tooth but these were very small and not worth the effort in my books.

Cheers

post-8087-1226355272_thumb.jpg

Awesome result Moru mou,

I grew up trout fishing in Tassie and many many visitor find it a very challenging place to fish. I know quite a few who have struggled in good conditions to catch more than one or two fish in a week. You did awesomely well... Isn't it a magic part of the world.

Top report :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Awesome result Moru mou,

I grew up trout fishing in Tassie and many many visitor find it a very challenging place to fish. I know quite a few who have struggled in good conditions to catch more than one or two fish in a week. You did awesomely well... Isn't it a magic part of the world.

Top report :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Moro Mou,

Great work in Tassie.. I fish the lakes every year as well as the Mersy. Meander Rivers..Lone Pine is my favourite and I just love the whole place . Some of the best fly fishing in the world.. Here is one of the browns we caught at Lone Pine

Can't wait to get back there.

Ross

post-2782-1226376575_thumb.jpg