My Effort In The Classic

tide'n'knots

Hi guys, Fished the classic last night with a mate and decided to fish a few spots around brooklyn instead of the usual haunt around wisemans.

Arrived around 7pm at parsley bay ramp went straight to spot A and by 7.20 I was into a nice jew of 60cm and thought this is good!! but after that, nothing but eels and catties! so at 9pm moved to another spot where I have caught huge bream in the past. After an hour and a half and 1 flattie of 52cm later, decided to try spot C. Anchored up and started to catch a couple of bream around 26 to 28cm (4 in total) then at around 1am I hooked a solid fish and called it for a big lizard as it was lying on the bait, and a minute or so later a flattie of around 65 to 70cm came to the side of the boat. It was then that problems began! we were fishing from my mates boat and he had forgotten the landing net! so after 1 attempt at gaffing the fish and the gaff not sinking in ( probably because the fish wasnt quite heavy enough ) I decided to try and land it on the platform near the motor at the back of the boat as I only had to lift it about 3 inches. Every time I attempted this the bloody fish kept darting to the side of the boat at the last second and going around the wrong side of the stabliser bar at the back so I would have to drop it back in again. After the 3rd attempt the hook pulled and we sat there watching it swim away! the air was BLUE for several minutes after that, but I eventually calmed down and forgave my mate for being a goose and forgetting the net - He kept reminding me about the time I went to put a jew of HIS in the esky of around 9lb and when it hit the ice slurry it jumped like a mullet and ended up in the drink! I guess we are even now!

Anyway our megre catch looked like sardines compared to the fish that won the comp - 19kg jew 1st, 15kg jew 2nd, even the flathead was significantly larger than the one that got away!

We only fished last night due to my work commitments but we are already loking at some different tactics next year and maybe fish the whole comp. Just as an interesting footnote the fish that took out the "other species" catagory was a 2kg kingie! one of the guys at the weigh-in told me that there are some being caught in cowan. VEEERRY INNTEERRESSTIING!!

tight lines.

Pete.

Nice work Pete, sounds like you got some pretty good fish even without the big flatty.

I've forgotten nets and any other landing tool quite a few times before-sure makes things a bit more exciting.

Cheers

Josh