A Week Off!

Tackle Junkie

Hi Guys,

Myself and :wife: took a week off work and headed north last week, we got home last night. We were greated by perfect weather for the whole 9 days that we were away. We were staying at Palm Cove just north of Cairns.

I am lucky that my partner loves to enjoy some sunshine by the pool and she lets me get away for a fish when on holidays (I just can't spend all day relaxing by a pool - i go insane).

I went fishing on several occasions:- I fished in Cairns inlet for Barra, Jack, trevally etc and caught only small fish and other undesirables (Still a great day out and the phone was off and I was out of the office).

I then stumbled onto a great charter off Port Douglas - these guys get into some serious fish and I was rewarded with some great fish. I caught several species that I had not caught before and the best part was I brought my own gear, which made everything so much more enjoyable. All of these fish were caught on a 10kg 7 foot saltist rod and shimano Calcutta 700b with 30lb braid and 60lb Jinkai Leader. The guys said I was fishing too light for the reef. I definately got smoked heaps of times, but that is half the fun (it feels great to be hanging onto something that you have simply no chance of stopping). I went out for two full days and I spend the money but enjoyed every bit of it.

Unfortunately I did not get a photo of the coral trout fresh as it was a bit blowy and I did not want to risk destroying my partners new camera with salt spray so this photo was taken after a day on ice, it gives a rough idea. I caught heaps of fish and kept a Coral Trout (estimated 3-4 kg), a long nosed emporer (2 kgs ish) and a Cobia (at least 6 + Kgs) for the table. We had ample fish for some great meals. Its funny that you can go out and spend $40 to buy a fish dinner at the restaurant but its not as good as what we had at home.

I hope this shows a little of what Far North Queensland has to offer - I will definately be back with some mates and maybe some heavier gear.

Cheers

Josh

post-6714-1227161463_thumb.jpg

post-6714-1227161475_thumb.jpg

post-6714-1227161485_thumb.jpg

post-6714-1227161497_thumb.jpg

I love it. You did the right thing. Fishing the way YOU wanted to! Well done with the Coral Trout. It dosent get any better. Best table fish I've ever eating when baked with orange sauce!

Chappo

P.S. Been smoked up there with my own 10lb calcutta gear but also nailed some huge Coral Trout on the same outfit.We found a charter guy (in retirement) who let myself and a mate onto his six meter centre console for a whole day for $150 a head. Wont plug him as he was accross the road from where we were staying and it seemed he dosent advertise anymore, but was happy to take us out when asked. Dosen't hurt to ask anyone up there with a boat in their front yard!

Chappo