Preferred Knots

marcel haber

......What knot do you prefer for tying braid to a swivel?

.......What knot works best for attaching say a 50-65 lb mono leader to swivel?

......I would hate to lose a descent fish due to poor knot tying.

Twin 1

Marcel.

Hi Marcel When tying Braid to a swivel you can't go wrong if you use a doubled line blood knot - gives you a loop just above the swivel eye which you cut into two tags leaving a third tag end at the top. Burn all three tag ends with a cigarette lighter like you do when sealing rope (use a soft bead above the swivel to lesson the impact of a running sinker on the braid or the impact of a running snapper rig swivel.

Use the same knot with mono leader to bottom of swivel and seal ends again but wet the ends first.

When you look at this knot you will see that the swivel is being held by a four line sling and the knot only contains loops (aligned wraps), and has no knots whatsover when tied correctly. The pressure exhausts thru the wraps and the main line's breaking strain takes over

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

The uni is my first preference as well-very strong versatile knot thats easy to tie.

I always do much more turns in braid though atleast 7 usually depending on the length of the tag-i usually just go as many as i can fit.

With stronger mono leaders i've found 3 turns to even be enough just make sure you pull it tight but i try and get 4.

Cheers

Josh

I use a locked blood knot but pass the braid through the eye of the swivel twice before turning the braid.

When finishing the knot pass the braid through both loops.

I've never had it give.

Cheers,

Grant.

Grant do you mean passing the line thru the eye of a hook or a swivel twice, wrapping as though doing a standard blood knot, and then passing the line thru the first wrap and locking the knot by passing it back thru the two loops in the eye ? Looking at that, the more pressure on the wraps in the eye, the less chance the tag end has of slipping and on top of that the first wrap of the blood knot itself will lock the tag end of the braid down as a double whammy !! That looks to be a fabulous knot for locking in a mono tag as well and the harder you pull on the knot the better it is !!! :thumbup:

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Grant do you mean passing the line thru the eye of a hook or a swivel twice, wrapping as though doing a standard blood knot, and then passing the line thru the first wrap and locking the knot by passing it back thru the two loops in the eye ? Looking at that, the more pressure on the wraps in the eye, the less chance the tag end has of slipping and on top of that the first wrap of the blood knot itself will lock the tag end of the braid down as a double whammy !! That looks to be a fabulous knot for locking in a mono tag as well and the harder you pull on the knot the better it is !!! :thumbup:

Cheers

That's the one Byron.

Glad you understood it!! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

May be a silly question.....

What knot do you prefer for tying braid to a swivel?

What knot works best for attaching say a 50-65 lb mono leader to swivel?

suggestions would be great......I would hate to lose a descent fish due to poor knot tying.

Twin 1

Marcel.

I never tie braid to a swivel. Ive seen it give way too many times. I always use a mono leader tied to the braid first then tie to the swivel. Use a bimini twist to tie to the swivel if you have to but its more convienient to use a mono leader, then if you want to tie on a lure of something later you have the leader ready to go.

I use a half blood knot for the mono and its very strong and reliable.