Kingys In Mh

Jake

It was my plan to target Kingys seriously this summer as i had never really done so properly in the past.

Well i headed to middle harbour with some squid i had caught and frozen from last week. Slow trolled my leccy with a big weight and a strip of squid just west of the spit bridge. After 2 mins tap, tap BIG BEND. I'm on!! I knew this had to be a kingy after hearing, reading and seeing so much on the subject. Went hard on it as i was very close to the marina.

Got him up pretty quick with my 30lb outfit and you little beauty in the net! 59cm kingy. Although undersize i was stoked and did a fair amount of fist pumping for the next few minutes. :banana:

Lost another near the boat soon after. Then went trolling back to a point where i had missed a good run trolling out earlier in the day. I had though it must have been a salmon. Well three more kingys later i sure proved it was no salmon. :thumbup:

First one hit a 7cm cheap red and white Trollcraft lure on my 8lb outfit. Great fun on the light stuff. Second pass and DOUBLE HOOKUP!, one on the Trollcraft the other on a newly purchased CD9 pilchard pattern. Went hard on the 8lb to get it in quickly but snapped me off near the boat, the other i got in on the 10lb braid, 3-5kg rack raider. Another pass and CD9 does it again. Left them biting.

The sounder was showing heaps of bait and a few arches. They must have holed up there all day. Now i definitely know what to look for!

Heaps of fun, but only little rats all between 55-60cm. Monkey off the back, now for a biggun! :biggrin2:

post-6757-1227514743_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1227514775_thumb.jpg

post-6757-1227514822_thumb.jpg

Well done on breaking your kingy virginity mate! :thumbup:

Nice to get quite a few, the rats can be a lot of fun on light gear!

That pilchard CD9 always does the trick for me when i go out, didn't get it back from a monster last trip though :thumbdown:

Cheers

Josh

Good one plasticman!

Now the rats are here we can be a little more assured of some action on the weekends!

Were you running the lures deep?

By the way, it's admirable to be using such light line, but I suggest you upgrade to 20LB plus as the big ones go like the clappers!

Dave

Good one plasticman!

Now the rats are here we can be a little more assured of some action on the weekends!

Were you running the lures deep?

By the way, it's admirable to be using such light line, but I suggest you upgrade to 20LB plus as the big ones go like the clappers!

Dave

Hi Dave. Mate i was just trolling them at their depth range. I think the Trollcraft goes to about 6 foot and the CD9 to about 11 foot. So not deep really. The water was about 20-30 foot deep from memory.

I caught the first king on my 30lb gear, then thought i would have a play on the light stuff. Luckly I got the ones on light gear a decent way from structure and kept the boat moving away after hookup.

Cheers

well done mate, were these down rigged?

Nah mate. No room or money for a downrigger unfortunately. The squid strip was just very slowly trolled using a big bean sinker and 1 metre of 40lb Momoi trace to a double snood hook of 6/0 Mustad hoodlum hooks.