Fishing For Kings

richard_pdc

Hi All

Went fishing last Monday the 17th and yesterday the 24th for zero kings .

Unsure what went wrong . had live yellow tail ,had live slimies full bait tank worth ,no live squid .

Caught zero , on both trips we got to rose bay around 400pm and fished till 830pm and only got one or two strikes manged to catch a large port jackson at south head marker and then headed to the wedding cake and tried there , had massive bait schools and saw the bait schools getting chased but could not get any to take the bait .

We saw plenty on the sounder and even tried at clifton yesterday and saw plenty on the sounder there but could not get one to take the bait .

You would think with slimies 8 to 10cm long you would have half a chance .

I guess early in the season if you don't have squid you don't have kings

The postive side to the post i got to go fishing and we caught a bag full of bream ,trevs ,flattys and fresh bait for our next trip.

Richard :1fishing1:

I know you're targeting kings and it can be frustrating when you don't get them but you've done quite well otherwise bagging out on those other fish + having fresh bait.

Firstly i'd say try and get squid, i find that squid guts with a burst inc sac never gets refused provided the fish are there.

Second if you can try and get out early morning, the fish tend to be more productive early morning in their feeding and should give you a better shot at them, the afternoon and evening can be good as well though.

And last when you see them feeding on baitfish like that it is probably better to try and catch them with lures rather than bait, they would've been chasing whitebait i'd assume and seeing an odd single slimey mackeral in amongst them probably would of been tempting but suspicious. Try lures that look like whitebait or just general king lures like sluggo's, metal slices and rapala cd9s.

Good Luck

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88