Lake Eucumbene

tentonner

I've never posted a report before but i thought after the fun i had the last couple days down

at Lake Eucumbene I decided i should. Me and a few mates headed down for a couple days to stay

at my dad's caravan in Old Adaminaby to fish Eucumbene for some trout. Arrived on saturday in shorts

and t shirts from Sydney weather to find it snowing in Adaminaby :1badmood: - so couldn;t go fishing that day

Set the alarm for 4 30 am for sunday and woke up to find a howling easterly and utterly miserable weather,

didn't venture out until the afternoon and when we did we tried to fish some worms in a sheltered bay but after no bites for an hour and having to endure a biting easterly and rain we decided to pack it in for the day. Things picked up on Monday morning as we were on the water by 5 30 to find a clear sky and no wind. We trolled tassie devils on lead core around some favourite haunts and by 9 am had six fish in the boat. The smile on my mates face as he reeled in his

first trout said it all. :1fishing1:

Tuesday morning was one of great frustration as we headed out in cold but bearable weather. We woke at 4 30 again and were on the water nice and early. By 7 30 we had landed 3 rainbow trout and a brown and thought we were in for a top morning. However to our eternal confusion and frustration we unable to land another fish as about 8 fish took the lure and managed to spit the hook within 3metres of the boat. :05: The eucumbene trout tend to go off the bite in the afternoon and we went out tuesday arvo with little hope of catching anything. However our hopes rose as we had a nice rainbow in the boat within 5 mins of trolling. But there was no more action for the rest of the day and we packed it in at 5 30 to start a fire and have a :beersmile:

Finally on wednesday morning we headed out for one last troll before we went home. Again we landed two fish early in the session before losing another 4 fish within metres of the boat :05: We suspect the size of the hooks on the devils were the problem

Anyway all in all a fun trip as we still managed a few nice trout and had some fun doing it

trying to post pics but no idea if they will work or not

post-8401-1227777318_thumb.jpg

post-8401-1227777366_thumb.jpg

post-8401-1227777399_thumb.jpg

post-8401-1227777429_thumb.jpg

post-8401-1227777472_thumb.jpg

Edited by tentonner

Nice one mate!

I hope to get down there this Xmas!

Get some pics up when you can.

Infact the mud on my boots in my pic is Euc mud!

:1fishing1:

don't know what the fishing will be like Christmas time Ted but I certainly know the feeling of muddy gumboots and water flowing in to them trying to launch the boat at Adaminaby's ramp.

Whereabouts do you stay when you fish there?

I actually proposed to my wife on the shores of Euc (while trout fishing)! :1prop::1fishing1: .

I had the ring, bottle or two of bubbly and some yummy food so she said yes :1clap:

Best of all I caught a trout! haha Nothing on the whoppers you got in those pics! Well done!

I stay at either Dalgety (near Berridale) or at my uncles home made cabin near the dam wall. I just love it down there!

Cheers

ted

I actually proposed to my wife on the shores of Euc (while trout fishing)! :1prop::1fishing1: .

I had the ring, bottle or two of bubbly and some yummy food so she said yes :1clap:

Best of all I caught a trout! haha Nothing on the whoppers you got in those pics! Well done!

I stay at either Dalgety (near Berridale) or at my uncles home made cabin near the dam wall. I just love it down there!

Cheers

ted

i've got a place in berridale that i stay at for the ski season. pretty keen to get down there over summer with the boat and go trout fishing. I have spun lake jindy before from the shore with no success... hopefully trolling will give me better results.

Great trip tentonner :thumbup: That cold snap was a ripper hey, dumped 20cm+ up top, great for the lakes though.

Just on the tassie and losing fish, this is something that seems to happen a lot with these. Are you running them with the treble and wire that comes with them? If so, then that could be the reason, it seems to give them leverage to throw the tassie. I would ditch the wire and run the line straight to a single, the best (I find) being a specific Trout Single in size 4 or 6 from a company called Decoy.

Jindy is actually a very productive spinning lake, but you need to target specific areas with specific lures. It is a lot harder the Eucy thats for sure but once you figure it out the rewards I find are a better quality of fish especially the Browns. Jindy can be daunting because it a rather bare looking lake and it took me ages to work it out and I don't want to give up all my findings but I can point anyone in the right direction if they want.

Cheers

Windy

Great trip tentonner :thumbup: That cold snap was a ripper hey, dumped 20cm+ up top, great for the lakes though.

Just on the tassie and losing fish, this is something that seems to happen a lot with these. Are you running them with the treble and wire that comes with them? If so, then that could be the reason, it seems to give them leverage to throw the tassie. I would ditch the wire and run the line straight to a single, the best (I find) being a specific Trout Single in size 4 or 6 from a company called Decoy.

Jindy is actually a very productive spinning lake, but you need to target specific areas with specific lures. It is a lot harder the Eucy thats for sure but once you figure it out the rewards I find are a better quality of fish especially the Browns. Jindy can be daunting because it a rather bare looking lake and it took me ages to work it out and I don't want to give up all my findings but I can point anyone in the right direction if they want.

Cheers

Windy

G day windy yeh we ditch the treble and the wire and fed the line straight to the hook with a bead separating the hook from the devil. Have to try the decoys as whatever singles we were using (can't remember size or brand) were very unsatisfactory

thanks for the advice