Big Sydney Kings 27 / 11 / 2008

dogtooth

Hi Everyone,

With the windy days last week making it a non fishing week it was decided to hit Botany bay in search of some more kingfish. Headed out early and scored a few Tailor , then headed to the bait grounds . With a few live baits on board we headed to the King Fish ground . . First bait deployed and 30 mins later the reeel began to scream ...zzzzz. :thumbup: 5 mins into the fight and all was looking good , had battled the early runs , then the fish power dived and found the unforgiving bottom .... :ranting2: Well thats fishing but it sure was a solid fish , just wish we got a quick glimpse.... so rerigged deployed bait number 2 and 5 mins later im on ..... :thumbup: now the drag had been pushed up another turn the fish played fair but felt nowhere near the size of the first ... Got the kingie boatside and my mate fish did a good job on the gaff . . Good to see his knees dont tremble anymore . . :074: ......10 kg of Botany bay king and measured 1070 mm long... Now with the summer kings coming soon it might be time to upgrade from 80lb braid as its now on the limit . Just need to tie myself to the boat..... :074:

Cheers ....Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

10 Kg Botany Bay king

post-692-1227766532_thumb.jpg

Tailor and Kingpost-692-1227766544_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogtooth

This is one I think I can pick. Seen you guys out at 12 mile reef off Botany hauling them in. I was actually thinkt these guys are crazy B*$%^^ds for being out here in a dinghy.

I must admit, job well done.

Sorry to give away your secret :1fishing1:

Hi salmon hunter ,

Yeah im sure you know the boat .... Mate i havn't been to the twelve mile in 2 months these are Botany Bay fish..... Not crazy just know my boats limits and dont push it beyond them....

Have even fished out the shelf in it......

Edited by dogtooth

Hi dogtooth,

Once again GREAT catch, what are you doing right to be nailing these big kings?

This is your 3rd big king over a metre in a month!!!!

Regards

Squidking.

First step is tackle or equipment , No point in taking a knife to gunfight if you know what i mean . Im using a shimano saragoosa 1800f on a bluerose shimano rod 80lb braid fished to its limit . . Next is bait large size that way rat kings dont eat them . . As with all fish that school 9 times out of 10 the smaller fish will always eat your bait before the bigger fish , once this happens they smarten up . So use big baits that way the smaller fish wont eat it and the big fish has a chance at your bait . . .

Hope this helps ...... Cheers ... John...

Edited by dogtooth

First step is tackle or equipment , No point in taking a knife to gunfight if you know what i mean . Im using a shimano saragoosa 1800f on a bluerose shimano rod 80lb braid fished to its limit . . Next is bait large size that way rat kings dont eat them . . As with all fish that school 9 times out of 10 the smaller fish will always eat your bait before the bigger fish , once this happens they smarten up . So use big baits that way the smaller fish wont eat it and the big fish has a chance at your bait . . .

Hope this helps ...... Cheers ... John...

Thanks for the reply John, you are right regarding fishing your tackle to the limit to stop the fish before they reef you.

I lost count on the number of big fish i lost last year to tackle failure even though i was using 50lb gear.

Im going out tomorrow morning (fri) and ill put out the biggest live squid i catch.

Thanks again.