Slimeys Or Yakkas

Guest linton

Slimeys or Yakkas?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What live bait do you prefer for the Bridle rig off the rocks?

• Slimey Mackeral
    • Yellowtail Yakka
    • Other

Never really rock fished but in general i went with other and would probably use squid. I prefer to use it and catch a lot of them so they're my number one bait most of the time, i wouldn't say no to a slimey though and prefer them over yakkas. They seem to be favoured by more fish, and they are more fun to catch especially on really light line :1prop:

Cheers

Josh

Hi Linton,

Slimies for me. Why ?? Slimies dont have lots of fin spikes for the predatory fish to avoid when eating them.

Slimies can be eaten by predatory fish any way they can catch them but yakkas are head first only. I thought this for a long time but only had confirmation of this when I watched Al McGlashin in his livebaiting Stikezone video.

If you havent seen this DVD I highly recomend it. AWESOME!!!!

Evets

Edited by Evets

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to have both slimies and yellowtail in my live bait for the day, but that's easier to say than do as it's harder to find slimies than it is to find yakkas. I dorsel hook live bait and use two hooks to keep the line and shank flat down for a head take rigging them so that the bottom hook is facing the tail and the livie is swimming away from me except when trolling when they have to be swimming towards the boat.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Slimies, basically they have more fish oil in their flesh, therefore much more attractive to predatory fish, this is't what i think its a fact. Its also why its one of the worlds most popular shark and berley baits, use them in your berley and you'll see the oil slick travel for kilometers at sea.

Off the rocks it's gotta be slimies, if you can get the buggers. If there is slimies on the ledge at night, there's predators on the ledge by day. Never seen long tails or cobes smashing bait balls of yakkas, btu seen the longtails in particular smashing, slimies and gars. Has anyone heard of Marlin falling for other baits, exept bonnies and frigates off the rocks ? Would like to know of some other options

is catching live bait off sydney rock ledges possible? when you watch lbg videos from places like jervis bay for example, you see them catch bait at their feet from where they would be fishing.

i've never been able to source bait from the same fishing spot, always had to transport them from elsewhere.

is catching live bait off sydney rock ledges possible? when you watch lbg videos from places like jervis bay for example, you see them catch bait at their feet from where they would be fishing.

i've never been able to source bait from the same fishing spot, always had to transport them from elsewhere.

Most spots have something there. No bait no fish. Get there in the dark and berley hard. Just before sunrise seems to be thee best