Crab Nets

marcel haber

Hi Fellow Raiders,

When using crab pots etc which ones are better........

(A) THE CONE ONES ( METAL ring on bottom with net supported by float on top)

or

(B) The rectangular netted version.

Is one or the other better suited for mud crabs and can both versions be used to catch blue swimmers.

Cheers

Twin 1 :beersmile:

Hi Fellow Raiders,

When using crab pots etc which ones are better........

(A) THE CONE ONES ( METAL ring on bottom with net supported by float on top)

or

(B) The rectangular netted version.

Is one or the other better suited for mud crabs and can both versions be used to catch blue swimmers.

Cheers

Twin 1 :beersmile:

hows it going neighbour!

Mate I only ever use witches hats ( the net type with a round ring on the bottom) and I have caught both blue swimmers and muddies, I find they work quite well. The only drawback is that the muddies can tear the net a bit but they are fairly cheap to replace and you can usually do some running repairs with a bit of fishing line.

Give us a bell and I will tell you some areas in the hawkesbury where i have caught them.

Pete.

We dont crab very often but when we do we use both but mainly the rectangle opera house type ones, mainly just because they are easy and dont get tangle, cant really be bothered trying to untangle something that wants the end of your finger.

G'day Marcel.

I use witches hats for blue swimmers & the collapsable round pots with thicker mesh for muddies.

I find the best way to catch a feed of muddies is to just go crabbing.

I do this from a boat with dilly pots. We set 10, have a quick flick & then check them 30 mins later from the 1st to last set.

Then repeat the process over 3-4 hrs. With dilly's the crab is trapped when you pull the pots up & they drop into the bottom rung of the trap so you can't leave them set for too long before checking them. That's why we really only go crabbing using this style & not just set some pots & then go fishing. It is a very effective way to grab a good feed of crabs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.