Big Kings 3 / 12 / 2008 Botany Bay

dogtooth

Hi Everyone,

Ventured to Botany Bay once again in search of the summer kings . . First stop was a few bird schools and 5 Tailor came on board , a top start for the morninig ... Next was the the task of live bait that was soon ticked off and we proceded to the kingfish grounds . . First bait was sent for a merry little swim and within 5 minutes the rod buckled and my mate Fish was hooked up , great rod work once again and 9 kilos of king hit the deck , it went 1020mm and a solid fish . . :thumbup: Now it was my turn on the rod and not to dissapoint we were hooked up solid again . . The fish played fair and was boatside when my mate Fish did the best impression you have ever seen woodchooping with a gaff :1yikes::074: The kingfish then swam off after 6 good attempts unharmed and hopefully to grow even bigger . . . Would have classed it around 10 kilos . . . So put out another bait and 20 mins later hooked up again this time a 6 kilo fish around 90 cm was landed . . :thumbup: . . Just as the fish was landed the fisheries pulled up for a quick inspection and i must say thanks guys for holding off while we boated that fish and even better was the camera work ,where they quickly took some snaps with our camera. . . Cheers Guys .... :thumbup::thumbup: .

Lots of rats patrolling the bay and good fun on the light gear....

Cheers ... Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: ..... John.... :beersmile:

Fish With 9 kg King

post-692-1228303397_thumb.jpg

6 Kg and 9 Kg Courtesy Of Fisheries

post-692-1228303475_thumb.jpg

post-692-1228303802_thumb.jpg

are you downrigging?

Hi John can you give me a few tips on how to catch these monsters! Is early morning the key?

Is there any other place than Yarra bay to catch livies? And was is the best technic to catch them? I use the bait jigs with feathers on the hooks but they seem hard to catch on them unless you bait them and even then they are hard to land. Is there an easier way? Great fish!!

Cheers.

Aqua Naut

Hi Aqua Naut If your catching livies just use a single hook , and light line , Maybe a small split shot and try around the drums if yarra bay is slow....

Top kingies. Nice to see some hoodlums still around in the bay (I mean the fish, not you guys !)

Maybe you didn't see my questions in your last post..

Are you anchored?

Are you fishing close to the rocks?

What water depth do you like?

Do you burley? If so, cubes or squash the pot?

Hi Keflapod , I slow troll or downrig , dont anchor and fish various depths , and i dont burley , I am using 15 kilos of drag otherwise the fish will reef you .

Cheers John....

are you downrigging?

Hi Herdsman , Yes sometimes i Downrig .

Hope this Helps John....

They are some serious kings there bro!

Must be some big drags to keep them away from stuctures!

Congrates

Greg

Hi Greg ,

Tested the drag on my saragoosa the other day and it is set at 15 kilos , its amazing how they can still pull the line off the spool....

Edited by dogtooth

Hi Aqua Naut If your catching livies just use a single hook , and light line , Maybe a small split shot and try around the drums if yarra bay is slow....

Hi Keflapod , I slow troll or downrig , dont anchor and fish various depths , and i dont burley , I am using 15 kilos of drag otherwise the fish will reef you .

Cheers John....

Hi Herdsman , Yes sometimes i Downrig .

Hope this Helps John....

Thanks Dogtooth. I think I'll have a go at bolting my feet to the floor and see if I can wrestle one of these brutes out. After the fight, I may end up with the arms and legs of an Orang-utan! Stretched to the max. I'll be walking and dragging my knuckles along the ground...Gotta bring some bananas with me....