Combo Fell In The Drink..now What?

kbark

hi all,

had a terrible session this week. only raised 1 squid in 2.5hrs...and then dropped it into/through the net and back in the drink. gave up and went over to my local wreck to try for some yakkas and kings.

i had my diawa tierra/starl stix pro in the holder jigging up some yakkas. When I pulled it in to move I rat king followed it up. I quickly put the rod back in the holder and threw another lure at it...now it al hit the fan.

i'm not sure if i didn't slot the rod properly in the holder, or if the kingy had a go at the sinker??? same result either way...$400 combo straight over the side in 50feet of water. :1badmood:

i thought it was gone for sure. i rigged my snapper raider with a ball sinker and 4/0hook and dragged the bottom.

first drift i thought bugger it and started to wind up...hold on...there's some weight!? very slowly lifting and winding my combo appeared attached only by a loose part of the braid wrapped once around the ball sinker. :biggrin2:

now for my question...i quickly poured a pint of clean water over it, took it home, rinsed it off and let it dry. pulled the spool and handle off and everything seems to be working fine.

should I pull the housing off the body of the reel and lube it up or just leave it as is. the bail arm and mechanism (rotor etc) are still very smooth.

cheers,

kit

I would get your reel to Daiwa for a service ASAP. Tell them it's gone under, and they will go through it thoroughly. It may be spinning smoothly now, but most reels that get a dunk will start to corrode internals pretty soon after...

G'day Kit,

Your reel needs to be stripped down, thoroughly cleaned, re-lubed and put back together mate. Being immersed in salt water means that the water will have completely filled your reel so there will be salt everywhere you can see AND everywhere you cant. Depending on the lubricants, all that water can emulsify grease and oil too.

Basically, the reel will be fine but only if you get it completely serviced which you can do yourself if you are competent and confident or by a professional. If you don't, your reel will definitely start to show serious problems pretty soon.

Better than losing $400 worth of gear. You were lucky. I think Ceph could buy a new car for the cost of what he's lost to the depths in his posts.

Cheers, Slinky

I would get it serviced, happened to me about a year ago in shallow water and it was only under for about 20secs and i had it taken apart in a bucket of fresh water running the hose through it within minutes and its been fine ever since.

last time my twin power did that in about 15 metres at pitwater i dived in and got it before it went out of sight......got it home stripped it down flush with fresh water lubed/oiled and a heavy dose of inox....same sort of thing happened a year before both times did the same thing and the reel is going fine still today!:P

cheers flatty hunter

Mate

I have had four outfits go in the drink. I got three back!

You need to strip that reel down and replace the bearings. I sent mine to Shimano as they are complicated inside these days and I am not that good at ensuring everything I take out goes back in (always a spring or a washer left over).

It cost about $100 for the full service and replacement bearings. This was on a Stella.

Edited by Cephalopod

Your not alone, it happens to all of us.

I actually got rod rage a little while ago and threw one of my rigs on the deck and it bounced over board with a new Certate 2000 attatched. When I realised that a nearly 1500 buck rig was sinking I figured I better get it back.

Sent the reel off to Daiwa, quick turnaround and its as good as new. I have also accidently dropped or knocked rigs into the water and have done the same thing..

If you know the workings of the reel well you could do it yourself but I would still definatly recommending sending it off for a full service

Mitch