Boat Buying Again

deezal

I know this probably comes up a lot, but like wonnie i'm lookin at boats too, found an aluminium bermuda, bout 6m, '96 model, 90 yamaha same era, would look to upgrade motor, however was wondering whether u guys had had anything to do with these boats and have any advise, it has a cuddy which would suit as i have 2 boys gettin very keen on their fishing, god bless em, sorry to bore with what is probably a recurring question but have read some good posts on here.

Cheers

I know this probably comes up a lot, but like wonnie i'm lookin at boats too, found an aluminium bermuda, bout 6m, '96 model, 90 yamaha same era, would look to upgrade motor, however was wondering whether u guys had had anything to do with these boats and have any advise, it has a cuddy which would suit as i have 2 boys gettin very keen on their fishing, god bless em, sorry to bore with what is probably a recurring question but have read some good posts on here.

Cheers

Hi and welcome, that age Bermuda would of been made by Telwater and we used to sell them and they are good boats. Basic in layout without a few of the tricks of modern Telwater built boats like Stacer and Quintrex, but honest boats and if structurley fine and the price is right they are good boats, better than some later model Bermudas who were built by other companies.

Only comment is that if it is a 6M boat the 3 Cylinder, small cc 90HP Yamaha would be struggling to do an adequate job and I too would be looking to upgrade to ideally a clean tec engine of more HP.

Cheers and what do they want for it?

Huey,

Cheers

Hi Deezal

Huey is right, i have the Yamaha 90hp on a 5m and no way would i have it on a 6m vessel. Good motor, quiet, economical etc for a old 2 stroke but not the most powerful 90 out there.

Thanks 4 the replies, as i thought, this is a good forum. they have 16k on it and it actually has one of your stickers on it huey, would hope to knock them down a bit as this seems extravagant and the trailer is in ordinary nick, however the wife was keen and thats half the battle as we know. currently own an old steber 15ft but it is aging badly hence the enquiries. been reading about electrolysis and am concerned bout this as well.

Thanks again

deezal

deezal@bigpond.com

Thanks 4 the replies, as i thought, this is a good forum. they have 16k on it and it actually has one of your stickers on it huey, would hope to knock them down a bit as this seems extravagant and the trailer is in ordinary nick, however the wife was keen and thats half the battle as we know. currently own an old steber 15ft but it is aging badly hence the enquiries. been reading about electrolysis and am concerned bout this as well.

Thanks again

deezal

deezal@bigpond.com

Hi Deezal, that is on the high side for such a boat. What model Bermuda is it and it would of had a Merc on it at one stage because Bermuda was a boat company owned by Merc. No big deal that is has been repowered but as mentioned if it around the 6M mark than ideally a V4 115HP would be the minium HP that should be on it. See if you can get them down a bit and then go for a run in it with a load and see what that 90HP can do, if it has to rev at around 5000 to cruise you are going to pay at the pump.

I would not get to concerned with corrosion due to electrolysis becasue being a boat that lives most of its life on the trailer and would have an isolation switch you will be fine.

The trailer is a bit of a worry because they can become expensive to fix and that needs to be factored in. A new trailer for a 6M (if that is what it is ) start at about $3,300 for a tandem. I do not think it will be a 6M boat because the biggest Bermuda of that time, if my memory is correct, was about 5.6M and that would be fine on a single axle and just go OK with a 3 cylinder 90HP.

Cheers,

Huey.

Think your right, only guessing at length and only single axle trailer so must be 5.6. still would like to upgrade motor so i can take worry out of it, will take ur advice and try and go for a run.

Thanks very much for your input.

Cheers

deezal