30 Hp Yamaha 4 Stroke

Bringellybill

Hi Guys,

New member here just trying to draw on your experience,

Having just purchased second hand 4.1 Allycraft tinny with Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke I'm wondering about general maintanance.

Previous owner indicated he used the boat no more than 20-40 hour over the 3 years he owned the boat.(friend of a friend, older gentleman and very believable)

The motor certainly looks in show room condition.

Is there any way I can tell the hours when there is no visable hour meter. Whats the service schedule for such a motor?

Is it time to meet this Huey bloke? Despite living 100km's from his dealership I appreciate his contributions to this site and would be happy to drive to him for service (if needed yet)

Bill

Hi Bill, if the engine is 3 years old you would want to service the water pump, change the crankcase oil and filter, check and replace plugs if needed and give it a once over. Not that hard or expensive if nothing unforseen pops up.

Cheers,

Huey.

.....Having just purchased second hand 4.1 Allycraft tinny with Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke I'm wondering about general maintanance.

......The motor certainly looks in show room condition.

Is there any way I can tell the hours when there is no visable hour meter. Whats the service schedule for such a motor?

Is it time to meet this Huey bloke? Despite living 100km's from his dealership I appreciate his contributions to this site and would be happy to drive to him for service (if needed yet)

Bill

Hi Bill Seeing you have just bought the boat, yes it would be a good idea to have Huey service the motor and he'll give the boat and the trailer a thorough once over from top to bottom. A proper sevice and tune up will give you a fresh start and nothing to worry about on the water. It's only about forty minutes up the M7 from Bringelly to Cowan as it takes me fifty minutes to get to Cowan from Campbelltown

You need to find out whether the boat is sitting nicely on the trailer and that the rollers are all in the correct position and making proper contact, and also the condition of the trailer bearings.

You should have a good look all around your boat before you go up and see what you need to add or alter to improve the original set up as doing it all now will save you money, time and effort later.

For example a boat of that size may well need splash guards fitted to the bow rails and because of the size I would recommend clears (clear marine vinyll) for better vision. In my opinion if you are a serious fisherman you need to have a live bait tank.

Huey can do that for you and supply any other extras you need so that you can just get on with your fishing.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

it's worth the trip to Huey's. I am comfortable knowing the fact when he services my boat, I have nothing to worry about on the water.

Thanks guys for the advice. As the boat is currently running beatifully I'm reasonably comfortable that I'll get through the 10 days at Port Mac trouble free - but who can ever to be sure in boating !!!.

As precaution, I am (0r should I say mechanic brother in law )is putting new bearings on the trailor and helping me to give the boat and trailor a good going over. Given the previous owner gave me a new 4 ltrs container of Yammie brand motor oil, and based on Huey's suggestion I may as well give the boat a basic oil, filter and plug change. I'll leave the rest up to Huey in the new year.

Thanks again guys

Bill