14/12 - North Harbour

werris

Went around for the high tide this morning at North Harbour. Didn't get around there till about 9:30am to find the westerly tearing into it. Feeling very negative about my chances I rigged up a 3 inch gulp minnow (smelt) and started up.

First cast I got a bump but thought I was over reacting as I haven't been fishing much recently and have lost the "feel". But next cast I got bumped again and knew it was a fish. 3rd cast I hooked up and got a keeper whiting. A few casts later I got another one and started thinking "what was all the growling and negative thoughts for when you first got here!?!"

Unfortunately that's where it ends. It would seem that as soon as the tide peaked, they stopped striking. Which was a real let down as the first two got me in the mood! I thought I'd end up with a few for dinner. Got them home and one was 27cm and one was 29cm. Just over phew! Looks like I'll have to knock up a couple of roast potatoes and some rice to fill myself right up with my two whiting tonight.

whiting.jpg

Edited by werris

Mate i felt the same when i ventured out with my son yesterday.

Good going on the SP's

I didn't get a hook up all day but my son was able to pull in a few harbour tailor on bait in no time at all.

What general location in North Harbour were you fishing?

I'm keen to go for a search for new spots nearer to my Sydney inner west abode and have been thinking of trying around the upper reaches of the harbour (somewhere sheltered away from pesty winds)

Dougs77

I was reading the fisheries site and it says you measure fish right to the end of the tail? If so mine are a bit longer than I thought.

Didn't it used to be to the fork of the tail years back? Anyone remember? That's how I measured them.

To late to re-measure them they're in my belly!

Edited by werris