Brooklyn Bridge - Saturday

ritchie

Well, the plan was to write up a mad report about how I hooked a few breambo's & few nice flatties, but the things didnt go as planned.. :bump0ee:

..drove down to Brooklyn, braving the rains and the hang over from the night before & hit the spot under the bridge by 6am! started flicking SP's.. used various types such as Berkely gulp 3" pumpkin seed turtlebacks, 3" pumpkin seed minnows & 5" shads...no luck..not even a nibble! i thought it could be the spot so walked around the shore line under the bridge throwing the plastics still no luck..

...not even a random snag to get me all excited..the river was dead as...

by 12noon, i was totally fed up with the whole SP flicking and decided to use some fresh prawns..and guess what...?..first cast, 16cm breambo...! that got me excited good and thought its gonna be a good session, but I WAS WRONG! :( .. ended up catching about 8 cat fish (yes, CAT FISH, good size though but didnt know how/whether to eat em so they all were kindly donated to the Asian family fishing on the other end of the river bank).. :D and few eels

...after catching many cat fish and eels i started wonderring...WHERE'S ALL THE REAL FISH??.. :1badmood:

...so there..i still dont get how i ended up catching ONLY eels and catfish under&around the brooklyn bridge between 6am-2pm ! ..

...maybe the a high fresh water level in the system after the rains?..

...anywhos...as always, it was great to get out and wet the lines... :1fishing1:

hey dave,

i wouldnt def call mself a "SP pro" , but has managed to catch a few fish in the past using them..:D so i do the same as you...take 2 set ups, 1 for SP and the other good ol bait..but last Saturday i didnt take out the bait set up until mid-day cos i was soooo confident that my SP's would work..ah well... hehe..

what im still trying to figure out is how the hell i ended up catching so many eels and cat fish the whole day (except that poor tiny bream) ..

Well, the plan was to write up a mad report about how I hooked a few breambo's & few nice flatties, but the things didnt go as planned.. :bump0ee:

..drove down to Brooklyn, braving the rains and the hang over from the night before & hit the spot under the bridge by 6am! started flicking SP's.. used various types such as Berkely gulp 3" pumpkin seed turtlebacks, 3" pumpkin seed minnows & 5" shads...no luck..not even a nibble! i thought it could be the spot so walked around the shore line under the bridge throwing the plastics still no luck..

...not even a random snag to get me all excited..the river was dead as...

by 12noon, i was totally fed up with the whole SP flicking and decided to use some fresh prawns..and guess what...?..first cast, 16cm breambo...! that got me excited good and thought its gonna be a good session, but I WAS WRONG! :( .. ended up catching about 8 cat fish (yes, CAT FISH, good size though but didnt know how/whether to eat em so they all were kindly donated to the Asian family fishing on the other end of the river bank).. :D and few eels

...after catching many cat fish and eels i started wonderring...WHERE'S ALL THE REAL FISH??.. :1badmood:

...so there..i still dont get how i ended up catching ONLY eels and catfish under&around the brooklyn bridge between 6am-2pm ! ..

...maybe the a high fresh water level in the system after the rains?..

...anywhos...as always, it was great to get out and wet the lines... :1fishing1:

Catching catfish is better than catching nothing :biggrin2: Actually i think they put up an ok fight so for the sport is pretty good.

As too on the teeth :thumbdown: My mum being asian will try eatting anything. caught a huge catfish a few weeks ago and she takes it home and cooks it fish curry...

i took 1 nibble and spat it back out ended up chucking out the whole dish :1prop: Tastes like crap and i dont even know y she wanted to try eatting it wen the fridge is already full off flatties and bream

Trust me u dont want to try it althoguh the indians hav a special recipe which gets rid off the smell is what i heard

Cheers A.dawg~~~

Catching catfish is better than catching nothing :biggrin2: Actually i think they put up an ok fight so for the sport is pretty good.

As too on the teeth :thumbdown: My mum being asian will try eatting anything. caught a huge catfish a few weeks ago and she takes it home and cooks it fish curry...

i took 1 nibble and spat it back out ended up chucking out the whole dish :1prop: Tastes like crap and i dont even know y she wanted to try eatting it wen the fridge is already full off flatties and bream

Trust me u dont want to try it althoguh the indians hav a special recipe which gets rid off the smell is what i heard

Cheers A.dawg~~~

yeah true..they did put up a bit of a fight specially when i was tryin to unhook them! nasty lil things they are..i think ASian people have some sort of a recepie to cook them.the Asian family fishing few meters next to me got all excited when i cought the first catty asn asked me whether im gonna keep it! i said "no" and gave the fish plus the others i caught after,to them... :D

Bad luck Ritchie. Didn't look much of a day at all conditions wise, the massive low front shut down the fish and brought all the creepies and crawlies out by the sound of it. At least the people you gave the eels and catfish to had something to celebrate and I suppose they did assure you that they were in a private health fund .

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi there Jewgaffer,

yeah true, it didnt seem like a promising day from the beginning but oh boy didnt i have fun catching those wierd looking slimy fish!

The other family indeed enjoyed the "fish i caught for them" .. they didnt waste a second cleaning and gutting them fish and put 'em in their esky! hope i was included in their dinner time prayers/blessings! :D ..

.. i feel good..atleast i caught "something" hehe..

the "under the bridge" are looks really good and hopefully next monday i'll have a nice report to put in ;)

Edited by ritchie

I heard that Catfish fillets make good Jewfish bait. Has anyone else heard that?

A fillet of Catfish certainly would make a good jewfish bait Mustaka. Whole catfish have been found in the stomach of jewfish, I've never found one tho. Jewfish might have to make catfish ineffective first, I'm not sure. In the photo below I had a jew on the top hook and a catfish on the hang out squid on the second hook and the jew only made one short run and was near dead on the hook when I landed it.

post-829-1229301028_thumb.jpg

Cheers

A fillet of Catfish certainly would make a good jewfish bait Mustaka. Whole catfish have been found in the stomach of jewfish, I've never found one tho. Jewfish might have to make catfish ineffective first, I'm not sure. In the photo below I had a jew on the top hook and a catfish on the hang out squid on the second hook and the jew only made one short run and was near dead on the hook when I landed it.

post-829-1229301028_thumb.jpg

Cheers

WOW! thats interesting! NOTE: will keep all the catties next time for jewie bait! DONE! :)

..Thanks for the tip jewgaffer..

PS/thats an AWSOME jewie mate!

mate dont be disheartened for one you were fishing in a area where the current would have been running stronger than any other part of the river hence the bridge is built where it narrows therefore creates a bottle neck and you get a great surge in water and with the huge tides i believe your plastics wouldn t have even touched the bottom, secondly those smaller fish normally sit out of the current in these conditions, places like porto bay would have been a better option i believe

tight lines

Big Tides bring the massive Jews too my friend.

Live catfish make ok Live baits for Jews, mate got a 10kg Jew on a live catfish once.

..really?..hahaha..it wouldve been fun if i hooked a 10kg jewie on my 6lb outfit!! :D ...

ummm..next time im gonna target catties first and then the big guns!... umm..cant wait! ;)

mate dont be disheartened for one you were fishing in a area where the current would have been running stronger than any other part of the river hence the bridge is built where it narrows therefore creates a bottle neck and you get a great surge in water and with the huge tides i believe your plastics wouldn t have even touched the bottom, secondly those smaller fish normally sit out of the current in these conditions, places like porto bay would have been a better option i believe

tight lines

yeah..when thinking back, the current was really storng! and makes sense why my SP's didnt produce! ..so next time i really should arrive there on lowest tide and fish till high tide hits?...

..dont have much of a choice being a boatless w'end fisho :D