Which Fish Finder

Vince1974

Hi All

I have been into fishing for a long time, but only land based. I have just bought a 4m tinny and have been having an awsome time with the kings in Sydney Harbour lately. I would like to buy a fish finder but I have no idea where to start. My budget is $500 max and no more.

I have been looking at the Garmin 400C. Dual beam and its colour is what is attracting me to this one.

I have read that having colour makes it easier to identify structure, fish, weed, etc... and having a dual beam is better than a single beam??????

Can any one shead some light or recomend a good bang for buck sounder please. It's hard to get good information from local fishing stores as they all seem to try and sell you what they have in their store.

Thanks!

Hi All

I have been into fishing for a long time, but only land based. I have just bought a 4m tinny and have been having an awsome time with the kings in Sydney Harbour lately. I would like to buy a fish finder but I have no idea where to start. My budget is $500 max and no more.

I have been looking at the Garmin 400C. Dual beam and its colour is what is attracting me to this one.

I have read that having colour makes it easier to identify structure, fish, weed, etc... and having a dual beam is better than a single beam??????

Can any one shead some light or recomend a good bang for buck sounder please. It's hard to get good information from local fishing stores as they all seem to try and sell you what they have in their store.

Thanks!

vince colour is not that important but the amount of pixels is the most important in my exp.

since you are only fishing in shallow water under 80m a single beam is the way to go

i had in my old boat an x125 lowrance great unit easy to use great detail

in the harbour after i learnt how to use it i could tell the bream from talylor

see prawns and tell all the fish apart

this is a great cheap unit

We have a Garmin 450s GPS/sounder and its a good little unit, they have a good clear screen with high resolution and are very easy to navigate through menus.

Having colour does make it easier to differ between different bottom structures but its not that much better than a black and white one if you can't read your sounder properly. I'd advise you to get a good book on how to read your sounder, there a some good ones out there, can't remember the authors but ask around and they sell them at boat supply shops.

Cheers

Josh

Hi and welcome, if you can get a Garmin FF400C for under $500 I would buy that because they are good little units. If you could stretch your budget to $550 I like the Humminbird 727X, which even though it is monchrome, the screen clarity with 640 x 320 is superior to a cheap colour unit of any brand. The H/B allows you to add GPS aerial and I think the mounting bracket is the industries best with not only swivel, but tilting. Also has dual frequency and good power output.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I can get the Garmin 400c for $399 and found a price for the Humminbird 727x for $499.

The 400C has 320 x 240 resolution but has a 4" screen

The 727X has 640 x 320 resolution but I don't know the screen size of this unit.

Which one of these units based on the price would be the way to go?

Thanks, Vince

• 1 year later...